• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Which base antenna for stupidly windy area?

Captain Spaulding

Dec 29, 2014
I live in a mountainous, high desert region and last month we had gusts up to 140 mph (That's right! This isn't a typo!). My Sirio 827 5/8 vertical was snapped in two; done! Throughout the year we commonly get steady winds up to 80 mph. My Sirio lasted for one year under these conditions. I was quite impressed with its resilience. I lost count of the number of times I'd see the top section of my late antenna at 90 degrees for hours sometimes! It always bounced back. The I-10Ks are no longer available. I'm considering getting another 1/2 to 5/8 wave vertical (another Sirio, Gain Master, Mr. Coily, etc.) and placing something inside the tubes (rubber glue, dowel rods, steel rods, pvc pipe, etc.) to reinforce them. Let the suggestions and input roll.

I remember last month that the Lake Tahoe area was hit by 140mph winds; is that where you live BTW?

Anyway, I cannot think of any CB radio antenna that has a wind rating that high. So, if you have to start from scratch, I would get either a Sirio Vector 4000 or a Sirio Gain Master . . .

I remember last month that the Lake Tahoe area was hit by 140mph winds; is that where you live BTW?

Anyway, I cannot think of any CB radio antenna that has a wind rating that high. So, if you have to start from scratch, I would get either a Sirio Vector 4000 or a Sirio Gain Master . . .

More than likely your solution is not so much in the antenna as looking into a way to raise and lower your antenna when weather is shifting.
What is the location like? Trees? structures? etc.

Reactions: 222DBFL and Robb
What to you want to use the antenna for? Local? DX?

If DX is your goal I would stick with a horizontal wire antenna of some sort, such as a center fed dipole. They tend to be pretty durable, of only because they are both thin (aka aerodynamic) and have at least three tie off points for support. Careful if you mount the wire between two trees, if the trees sway apart from each other the wire will break. That being said, it is only a wire, so not to expensive to replace...

For local... You can get one of those extra durable 5/8 wavelength antennas like the I-10k, although they usually say either 100 mph or 100+ mph winds. Also, make sure the mast is also strong enough to support the winds you are talking about. I've seen incidents where the mast was the failure point, not the antenna. In those kinds of winds the antenna acts like a big lever hanging out putting essentially twisting forces onto the mast.

Someone above mentioned a Vector 4k. If you take that option plan on doing a ton of strengthening as that model of antenna is not known for being the most stout antenna on the market, although several people built their own stronger versions. I also don't know that I wouldn't trust a fiberglass antenna in those cases, even one as good as a Gainmaster. 140 mph winds is really beyond what most people have experienced, and if there is sand in (he did mention high desert area) it will effectively sandblast everything. I doubt any fiberglass antenna will last long in those conditions...

Aside from the I-10K esk antennas my best recommendation is to build one yourself. It is the only way you can ensure the durability you need. I am thinking along the line of a double thickness inch diameter aluminum tube with a second tube that runs the length of the antenna inside the outer double walled tubing, and using super alloy 5 to effectively weld the tubes together, making the outer tubes effectively a single piece. Not a cheap solution, but one that will last no matter the conditions. After double tubing for the radials, this would also not be a particularly light antenna, so it would also need a mast that can support both the comboned weight and the wind load.

Perhaps, if that is just to much for you, get a hub that will let you make a few 102" stainless steel whips into a Starduster style antenna. Those stainless steel whips are about as durable as antennas come. Something like this.

I hope you get something figured out, and no matter what it is, let us know about it and how well it survives...

The DB

aluminum electrical emt conduit, sch 40.
Expensive but it will stand up to the harsh environment.

This is available from 1/2' on up to 4" but it is very expensive.

We use all alum conduit in the chemical plant, alum does not produce and spark, non ferrous metal.

you can build a 1/4 wl gp direct feed using 3/4 " alum conduit and call it done.

If it were me I'd rebuild the S-827 with tubing from DX engineering, removing the step down in diameter at each "swagged" section. Excellent aluminum without the extreme cost. Use their double wall thickness tubing with slots and hose clamps on each section. I'd also cut one foot off all radials to make them bullet proof. They are too long and flimsy if you have any snow or ice loading with this wind. Loss in performance is not noticeable with a foot off the radials although it will require a little retuning.

I live in a mountainous, high desert region and last month we had gusts up to 140 mph (That's right! This isn't a typo!). My Sirio 827 5/8 vertical was snapped in two; done! Throughout the year we commonly get steady winds up to 80 mph. My Sirio lasted for one year under these conditions. I was quite impressed with its resilience. I lost count of the number of times I'd see the top section of my late antenna at 90 degrees for hours sometimes! It always bounced back. The I-10Ks are no longer available. I'm considering getting another 1/2 to 5/8 wave vertical (another Sirio, Gain Master, Mr. Coily, etc.) and placing something inside the tubes (rubber glue, dowel rods, steel rods, pvc pipe, etc.) to reinforce them. Let the suggestions and input roll.
i live in oklahoma and ive seen tornados (way too many and 2 close) thats what we call 140 mph winds here is a tornado omg

with winds like that i dont see any comerical antenna holding up.
however id try a mr.coily he guareenttees them . they are expensive though
also maybe could try a merlin 50k its only a 1/4 wave but being smaller
it may help it to hold up better. all in alll id call mr. coily

Yep, Groucho Marx' alter ego. Give Beetle a gold star! I'm going to check out the aluminum tubing at DX Engineering for sure. A retractable antenna is something I'm considering as well. I'll have to post updates on my antenna resurrection for sure.

Contact Amphenol Jaybeam antennas. They make custom built commercial vertical antennas for installation on towers and they have stupidly high wind ratings as well as a 3 year guarantee. I think a friend of mine paid around $400 for one. It sits on top of a 150ft tower 600ft above sea level on the highest point of a range of hills and has survived some very high winds up there.

Another option is antenna guying. Put some guy rings on at 1/3 and 2/3 up the antenna and guy it in a cross patter with the guy wires 45 degrees to the direction the wind comes from the most so you've two wires at each guy ring taking the stress and not just one..

Do not do the dowel/sleeving idea. It just transfers the force to the base and it'll fold there instead.

Reactions: wavrider

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.