• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Which Base?

Highland Ranger

Aug 28, 2005
CB w/ SSB. Unless there is a compelling reason, haven't looked at the 10m bases - let me know if I should.

Looking at the Galaxy 2547 and the Ranger TR-696F SSB.

Looks like the Galaxy does 12v which is neat if I want to pack it up, but the truck has a big inverter anyway so no biggie.

THe Ranger has weather band, nice, make it handy in the kitchen but again no biggie as we have weather radios (and the internet with 24/7 access to NOAA).

Any other things to consider? Do they both tune up the same?

Have a Galaxy in the truck and happy with it - making me lean that way but the Ranger is nice looking . . . . toss up.

2547 and 696f are have the same mainboard, they are basically identical. my old 2547 had a lot of white noise durring recieve. we swaped in a few different zener diodes and low noise transistors but they noise didnt change. just like a 2950/70, the noise i mean. i wouldnt give either radio high marks as far as build quality/ operation goes. if you were to find an older model base you might be a little happier with it. like a cobra 142. `

Highland Ranger said:
CB w/ SSB. Unless there is a compelling reason, haven't looked at the 10m bases - let me know if I should.

Looking at the Galaxy 2547 and the Ranger TR-696F SSB.

Looks like the Galaxy does 12v which is neat if I want to pack it up, but the truck has a big inverter anyway so no biggie.

THe Ranger has weather band, nice, make it handy in the kitchen but again no biggie as we have weather radios (and the internet with 24/7 access to NOAA).

Any other things to consider? Do they both tune up the same?

Have a Galaxy in the truck and happy with it - making me lean that way but the Ranger is nice looking . . . . toss up.

Carl's 142 is a good suggestion, and if you want something with a frequency counter in it, a used Cobra 2000 would make ya happy.

I have a different take on the question.

I really like the DX 2547, and have 3 other locals using them.
They have good receive and good modulation. I don't find the receive to be noisy at all. It also has a very good noise blanker/ANL circuit that does eliminate certain kinds of noise.

It is basically the same as the Texas Ranger 696F base, but has a smaller footprint. It is easy to modify for channels and clarifier, and seems to be durable. I have run mine for several years, every day, and have had no problems.

The Cobra 142 is a nice older radio, but does take up a bit more space. The issue I have with the Cobra 2000 is that those radios are getting pretty old now, and some of the components get dried out and don't function as they should, especially some of the capacitors. Also, the freq counters tend to go bad form age too, yet these radios still bring a high price.

I can recommend the Galaxy DX 2547 from several years of satisfactory service.

CDX8412 said:
I have a different take on the question.

The Cobra 142 is a nice older radio, but does take up a bit more space. The issue I have with the Cobra 2000 is that those radios are getting pretty old now, and some of the components get dried out and don't function as they should, especially some of the capacitors. Also, the freq counters tend to go bad form age too, yet these radios still bring a high price.

I can recommend the Galaxy DX 2547 from several years of satisfactory service.

Indeed, some rigs will have issues down the road, and for the most part I have been fortunate that my main rig's (Cobra 2000, RS TRC-457, StalkerXX,and Robyn SB-520) are still kicking, but you'll always have to consider that when buying used.

At least the Galaxy DX 2547 isn't the typical butt-ugly rack-mount looking box. And I've considering owning one from time-to time.

-TSG

Funny, I like the looks of the ranger better - could be because I have two full size racks with computer equipment in the house!

But it won't be going in the server closet so doesn't matter . . . . still leaning toward the Galaxy.

Looked at the 95T because of the built in linear but I think I like the flexability of leaving the radio and the punch separate.

Still mulling it over but need to get something on order next week so I can put it up when I take off for spring break.

As far as used radios go, I would only buy that from someone local and with some kind of fast turnaround warranty - which basically preculdes those from discussion. I'll have to make due with whatever is current production and on the market.

I've also found, with some exceptions, that for the most part, new stuff is better than old in cars, guns and electronics.

Highland Ranger said:
Funny, I like the looks of the ranger better - could be because I have two full size racks with computer equipment in the house!

Well, when the Galaxy Saturn came out in the mid/late 70's is was different than all the other rigs on the market, but then it seems like every new base (with few exceptions) that have been cranked out since then have the same rack-mount look. After about 30 years I think it's time for diversity.

For CB and whats fairly new today in a base I think theTR-696F-SSB is a decent radio for about 300.00 dollars give or take a few dollars either way. Easily converted for more channels ,I do like the freq counter and she's surely made well. I've experimented on a few of them and noise did not seem to be a problem for me. They tuned up or down very nicely and the audio seemed just as good as anything else I've heard. I also liked the weather channels. I would agree with Carl on a good conditon Cobra 142GTL (there was just less to go wrong with them or need repair) You can pick up a fairly nice one on Ebay for less then 100 bucks shipped.
texasranger696f-l.jpg
58_1.JPG

Thestonerguy said:
Well, when the Galaxy Saturn came out in the mid/late 70's is was different than all the other rigs on the market, but then it seems like every new base (with few exceptions) that have been cranked out since then have the same rack-mount look. After about 30 years I think it's time for diversity.

This doesn't help answer the original question, but I think the date you mention for the Saturn is way off. They didn't come out until the early-mid 80's.

I use a TR696 here in the shop as a monitor radio, and it does quite well. I've also used it at home as a base, with equally good results.

cobra 135xlr the forgotten one

a nice radio i have fantastic service from is the forgotten cobra 135XLR great ears,quiet recieve, ssb has some extra channel capabilities. you can get great audio from these radios with a turner super side kick mic. i have had this radio for at least 20 years and the only time it was opened up was for some power mods and extra channels. i also have a cobra 2000GTL but i think the 135XLR is much better. also the uniden president make nice trouble free radios you can channel the heck out of them and they have great audio and work great on ssb. you can get them both on ebay for great prices used.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.