• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Which Cb should I use

ncskipboy90

Feb 1, 2009
Excuse me for being such a noob but I have 2 choices here. I have the Uniden PC68XL and the President HR2600. Im running a larson NMO 2/70 MM antenna. Which CB would yall use? And how could I get better distance? Thanks

A 2m/70cm antenna will not work for CB.

CB is 11 meters, and needs an appropriate antenna for that wavelength.
A good choice might be wilson 1000 or 5000, but preferences vary.
You will always need to check the vswr on a new installation.

The 2m/70cm antennas are for VHF/UHF ham bands.

Ok I will hit up TA truck stop tommorow and grab a Wilson 1000. Now the question is which CB and how do I boost it a bit?

I would go with the 68, if you intend to do mostly am talking.
You can boost it by having someone who knows how to do them right work it up.
Get it done with variable power, then you can use it to set your deadkey with an amplifier.

So is the HR2600 is considerd a amature radio correct? I think im gonna put the 68 with the wilson 1000 in the truck and run the hr2600 with a wilson 5000 here at home. Any suggestions?

Like i said im a noob. Whats a good base antenna that doesnt cost over $100

Edit: I have an antenna which was given to me by my grandfather. It has 3 legs and stands about 6 foot tall and has anttron written on it. im guessing this is a base antenna

Antennas don't wear out. The do need to be taken down occasionally and all of the contacts cleaned to remove corrosion or rust. They loading coils inside can get burned out if too much power is applied. But if it was kept, there's a really good chance that your 'Antron' antenna is still good.

It will work just fine and you will need to put it up as high up in the air as you could - but only if can assure that it is safe from falling on any power lines and well-secured form winds. Forty feet from the base of the antenna to the ground surface is a pretty good idea. You could go higher, but then you would need high quality coax and that isn't cheap - actually gets kinda expensive to tell the truth. Additional securing of the mast that supports the antenna will also be required. Fifty or sixty feet of good coax ('RG/8U') will be just fine; keep the length of coax to a minumun as much as is practical. Or if you plan going any higher, the Times LMR-400 cable or Belden 9913 (about 75-79 cents a foot - plus the cost of two 'pl-239 connectors') for a length up to 100 ft. After that length, you may need to but even MORE expensive cable that this - to ensure that there is little cable loss as possible. At that point, it gets pretty expenssive - perhaps more than your radio, power supply, microphone and antenna cost new. Use as short as length as possible, and 50 ft is highly recommended...

So basically I should put this antenna on a 40ft pole? If i am understanding that correct how far of a range will I get?

So basically I should put this antenna on a 40ft pole? If i am understanding that correct how far of a range will I get?

OK, so If you live in a 2 story house -about 25 ft high- you would only need to put up 15 ft of mast - and then mount the antenna to the top of the mast.
If you live in a single story building, then you will need 25-30 feet of masting with the antenna on top.
OK?

Once the antenna is in place, you will need to check the 'Standing Wave Reflection' - or 'SWR'. This is a NECESSARY test that will tell you how well your antenna is tuned. Understand now - that your radio is transmitting very specific high-frequency alternating current - and the antenna must be able to load it up evenly. Radio = power and frequency; Antenna = load. Complimenting it, is another way of looking at it. Without this 'even-ness' or 'complimenting', the power coming out of your radio will be reflected back into the radio - because it cannot be effectively pushed out of the radio. It gets 'reflected' back at the radio -with nowhere else to go- and we want to reflect every single speck of it out of the radio. Where it does the most good; transmittng better and farther. The radio system that has the lowest SWR is transmitting all of the radio energy out - that is most efficient - and this is your new goal.

What? You thought that was it was just enouigh to have a radio, mic, coax, and antenna? Nope! If you had a guitar and didn't know how to tune before you tried to play it - you would sound terrible. Same-same...

Poor SWR/improper tuning can burn up your radio in a short time. While a good tune will ensure that the radio will last indefinitly and transmit all of the power out of the radio and thru the antenna efficiently. That will also ensure getting the maximum recieve distance for your system as well. This is the nature of your 'main' question; isn't it?

If you don't know anything about the SWR adjustment, that is the next most important logical step that you must learn.
It's all good, just look how far you came so far in short while?

Most modern radios come with a built-in SWR meter. Some older radios do not have this function; so you may need to purchase one online for $10-20 used/new. Not that expensive; but necessary. If you have a friend that has one, ask your friend to help you set up the antenna and radio, and learn that way if you have that opportunity.

To use thew SWR meter, the radio must be hooked up to your antenna and the power on. Turn your radio to ch 20 first. Flip the switch called 'calibrate' on the radio; also find the knob that says 'SWR CAL'. Turn down the mic gain all the way down (CCW). Now watch the meter and key the mic. The meter will have a place on it that says 'CAL'. Turn the 'SWR CAL' knob until it lines up with that spot on the meter that says 'CAL'. Unkey the mic. Now, flip the same switch on your radio that said 'CAL' over to 'SWR'. Key the mic and read the number that it shows on the meter. If the needle barely moves and says '1.1 to 1.5; you're good to go - DONE!. If it does not; then you will need to take down the antenna and either shorten the top pole or lengthen it. You may have to repeat the process a few times until it falls into spec. Different antennas have different means of changing the SWR' values; but they all can be adjusted. Finding the instructions to your particular antenna on line will be the best way to find out 'how to' for your model of antenna if you don't have the instructions for it.

It may be time consuming, but when it is right - youi won't have to mess with doing it again. Until you have to do the same thing to a mobile radio that you put in your car. Sme process and same results. That's how it is done. If you had to buy an external SWR meter; the process is still the same as described above. Even Ham radio operators have to do the same thing to their systems as well. Having a friend that knows how to do this will radically shorten the time it takes to tune it all up, and you will learn faster as well. If you have a CB radio operator or a Ham operator in your area, ask them to help. If not, then you can learn it on your won. Be careful about any power wires, as they can easily kill or maim. Respect that power wire.

Last edited:
Antennas don't wear out. The do need to be taken down occasionally and all of the contacts cleaned to remove corrosion or rust. They loading coils inside can get burned out if too much power is applied. But if it was kept, there's a really good chance that your 'Antron' antenna is still good.

It will work just fine and you will need to put it up as high up in the air as you could - but only if can assure that it is safe from falling on any power lines and well-secured form winds. Forty feet from the base of the antenna to the ground surface is a pretty good idea. You could go higher, but then you would need high quality coax and that isn't cheap - actually gets kinda expensive to tell the truth. Additional securing of the mast that supports the antenna will also be required. Fifty or sixty feet of good coax ('RG/8U') will be just fine; keep the length of coax to a minumun as much as is practical. Or if you plan going any higher, the Times LMR-400 cable or Belden 9913 (about 75-79 cents a foot - plus the cost of two 'pl-239 connectors') for a length up to 100 ft. After that length, you may need to but even MORE expensive cable that this - to ensure that there is little cable loss as possible. At that point, it gets pretty expenssive - perhaps more than your radio, power supply, microphone and antenna cost new. Use as short as length as possible, and 50 ft is highly recommended...

belden 7810 is good too.

36 foot for best use of groundwave on 11meters.

How far can a radio transmit if it is setup right?
Locally, with no atmospheric enhancements ('skip'), it can go as far as 25 miles if youir antenna is high enough - and the station you are talking to also has his antenna that high as well. On sideband ('SSB') you mabe be able to double that distance. Provided there aren't any major obstructions between those two points. Transmissions propagate by line-of-sight and ground waves. I don't have to tell you about 'skip' as I'm sure that you should know something about that - considering your user name.

As far as antenna tuning - one more point. DON'T take your antenna apart and clean it yet. If it is already taken apart; then just clean it up. But if it is all put together, then there is a pretty fair chance that it is already adjusted for proper SWR. No need to make it harder than it needs to be - especially if it isn't needed. Mark the section tubes with a felt marker, so that if you need to take it apart and clean it, you have a reference point to know how it should be put back together for proper length. The length of that antenna - like ALL antennas - is its fine tune. So be sure and preserve where the sections went together by using a felt marker.
Research all of the info presented, as I am pretty certain that what I have written will agree with it. By all means - check it all out for yourself...

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.