• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Which is better and why? Galaxy 99v vs HR2600

70cst

Dec 4, 2009
I have a excellent Doc tuned HR2600 with the Chipswitch installed which is setting in my office as a back up radio. Recently I have been thinking of selling the HR2600 so I could purchase a Galaxy 99. I realize that these two radios are different yet they are similiar in many ways so the question I have is this: Is one of these radios "really" that much better than the other? Thanks in advance.

That would be a real bonehead maneuver right there. Those two radios are not in the same class in any respect. The 2600 has a much better receive section, better audio, better build quality. The 99 and the other EPT-3600 based radios have drifting issues on SSB that make them not very suitable for that mode.

having owned both of them I would agree with Highlander...

the galaxy is PRIMARILY (IMO) an AM CB for use on the regular 40 on AM ...sure it can do other things and do them "ok" but it REALLY shines on AM

the HR2600 is a for-real 10M rig that will run SSB with the best of actual HAM rigs

sure it does AM decently and when chipswitched it will go down into 11M and do that fairly well

HOWEVER on 10M (and11M actually)SSB it is indistinguishable from every "real" ham radio I've ever owned in both receive and transmit (well except for some of the tube gear,but thats a whole nother class)

It depends on your operating choices.
If you spend most of your time on AM the 99 works well on that mode, has all of the "big rig" noise toys and high level modulation.
If you spend more time on SSB the 2600 is clean, stable,and has a great RX.
Plus the ChipSwitch gives you options you will never have with the 99....if you use them.
For me, the smaller case size on the 2600, offsets for 10 meter FM repeater`s and the ability to control frequency up/down/steps via the Mic are all a plus for me.

Jeff

Dont be foolish!! Keep that 2600 and buy a rowboat and get some use out of the drifting you can do ;) 2600 and 2510 both rock solid and an actual 10 meter Amateur radio.

I use a 99v in my mobile on SSB. Once it warms up and gets stable on SSB, it works well enough. But if I had a chip-switched HR2600 - I would forget about the 99v. The 2600 is better for SSB, while the 99v is a great AM talker.

The 99v is a pain on the kabuki until it warms up/stabilizes. If you live in a colder climate - forget about the 99v.
Just put a nice power mic on the 2600 - that is what I would do. This way, you can adjust your modulation needs from AM to SSB . . .

I agree totally with Highlander as thats a no Brainer.

Cotton Mouth.

If you are looking to get rid of the HR-2600 with the ChipSwitch, PM me with the details.

Thanks all....From your replies-Sounds like the 2600 is a better all around radio. AM it sounds like it will hold its own (minus the toys) but the SSB is where it will really shine compare to many 10/11 radios. Thanks again for your input.

I won't get rid of my 2600's and 2510's for all the $$ in the world. It's a real ham rig.

Matched up with my Palomar Elite 900HD, I can get anywhere from 250 to 450W out, clean and solid. I use my 2600 on 10M and it's a solid performer. No Chipswitch. For 11M use, I use my 2510. Love 'em both.

I won't get rid of my 2600's and 2510's for all the $$ in the world. It's a real ham rig.

Matched up with my Palomar Elite 900HD, I can get anywhere from 250 to 450W out, clean and solid. I use my 2600 on 10M and it's a solid performer. No Chipswitch. For 11M use, I use my 2510. Love 'em both.

got me jealous...lol sounds like an awsome setup

Dump the Galaxy, keep the HR2600. When you find a 100w version of the Ranger AR3500, dump the HR2600 and get the AR3500. No more radios after that, unless you get a screaming deal on an ICOM.

I have had a 2600 for about 15 or so years. I tried selling it about 8 yrs ago and was told by a few old timers that i would be completely stupid to sell it and that i would be mad once i did sell it hearing some one else out there w better audio ( my old 2600). So i ended up keeping it.

Anyways 2 yrs ago i think it took a near field lightning strike or the finals got damaged. It wont transmitt now so if anyone out there recomends a highly reputable doctor to fix it please let me know. I want to put my old beast back on the air.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.