• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Which legal radio?

I am not sure it was stated anyone here, but it has been done and has been documented as taking place.

I know for a fact (I have first hand knowledge of it) that an Amateur used his Ht on the San Diego county Sheriffs repeater to "call for help".

The Sheriffs dispatcher told him to clear the repeater, and he re-transmitted the call for help.

He was arrested, went to trial and used the "any method of communicating in an emergency" Part 97 FCC regulation for his defense.

the judge informed him that he was not charged with a Part 97 violation.

he was found guilty of interfering with the sheriffs repeater.

Bottom line: it's not just the FCC that can (and will) pop you.

I know for a fact (I have first hand knowledge of it) that an Amateur used his Ht on the San Diego county Sheriffs repeater to "call for help".

The Sheriffs dispatcher told him to clear the repeater, and he re-transmitted the call for help.

He was arrested, went to trial and used the "any method of communicating in an emergency" Part 97 FCC regulation for his defense.

the judge informed him that he was not charged with a Part 97 violation.

he was found guilty of interfering with the sheriffs repeater.

Bottom line: it's not just the FCC that can (and will) pop you.
As far as the FCC rules, life threatening emergencies can warrant unauthorized transmissions by even non amateurs on amateur bands only.

You would think that would apply here for that type of an emergency if no other forms of communications were available. That is if that was the case.

I am not sure it was stated anyone here, but it has been done and has been documented as taking place.
You are correct! The malcontent called for help at least once using the "Shots fired officer down" call and every cop that heard that call was in a panic, No location given so everyone was up in arms.

I'm not condoning the use of illegally modified equipment BUT there's a huge difference between using a modified hf/10 m rig to transmit on the cb band and using a Chinese ht to screw with public service communications. In the eyes of the law maybe not but when it comes to enforcement it does. Tons of guys run hf equipment on ssb on and above the 40 band, and have for years, with no problems. Guys that use vhf/uhf rigs with the intention of dickin w police/fire freqs are MORONS.

Last edited:
Reactions: AmericanEagle575
Not trying to stir up strife or anything other than the proper use of licensed privileges. I can guarantee if you get in to the wrong areas the FCC will be tapping on your door. If you get into Law Enforcement frequencies you will be visited. I know of one instance in which someone with a Chinese made Handy Talkie got in to the police bands and caused some major problems.

Probably not likely to happen these days any more. Our whole area is Motorola APCO25 with encryption, not even a scanner can pick it up

I found a 148 gtl for reasonable. Pristine condition for 125 and that was with the really good tune job I watched him do before taking it out the door. I bought that, a mic, and 18' of mini 8 that I watched him make, plus had my old Cobra 26 gone through to keep as a backup, all for $155 from Jaguar at exit 42 electronics in Troutman, NC.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.