• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Which mobile antenna should I buy HELP!!!!

smp440

Sep 15, 2008
I am thinking of buying a 2970n2 for my pick up, I will only be running the power it has.
I have a tool box on my bed and the antenna mounts be hind the box on a bracket that is about 2 inchs inside the bed rail...
I have always used 102 whip because I have never found another antenna tha works as good as it does... I want an antenna that is shorter though if there is such a thing that will get close to the 102. With all the new technology I figured there would be something out there...

I have been looking at the mr coily and 10k but they may not be my best choice because they are realy made for the big watts.

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO PIPE UP AND GIVE UR 2 CENTS THX Mike

Welcome to the forum - and asking questions is what forums are all about
Go with a predator 10k with a 21 inch coil base for a permanent mount.
But it would be better to mount the antenna on the roof - and not below the level of the vehicle's sheet metal surfaces. You will compromise the antenna and your RX/TX if you do. If that makes it too high at that point; then I would get a Wilson 1000 Magnet mount antenna. This will allow you maximum flexibility - you can take it off or put it back on at your convenience.

But it is best to put it on top of the vehicle for maximum results and satisfaction - IMO...

many folks use a 10K with a 27 inch shaft on tol boxes anmd bed rails on pickup trucks . youll get a mor omnidirectional with the antenna mounted near the center of the truck or at the middle of the back window on the bedrail or tool bok . having the entire antenna mounted in the middle of the roof typically gives best performance , but its not always praticle . if you did change the mounting location to the roof a shorter 12 or 17 inch shaft can be used with great results . the mag mount wilson 1000/5000 robb mentioned would be a easy and effective antenna too . i had a lil will on my truck with a about a 200 watt helper (less power than your 2970) and talked skip very effectivle with it , the 1k/5k is a much more effective antenna though .

I have always used 102 whip because I have never found another antenna that works as good as it does...

I think you answered your own question there. If you can use the 102 on your pickup then use it, you won't find anything that will beat it. If you really want to go for a smaller antenna then the suggestions already made are what you should go for. IMO though, the 10K's I have seen are not much smaller than a 102 anyway, which is why they work almost as well as a 102. Once you start adding coils to an antenna to reduce it's size, there is only one outcome, and that is reduced performance. I suppose then it's just a case of which shortened 1/4 wave works better than the other shortened 1/4 wave, and how short you need the antenna to be. I use the sirio HP 4000, dunno if you can get those in the states, but they work as well as the wilson's do, but for 2/3 of the price. It's still over 6 foot tall so it's not as far away from the 102" as some others are.

If you like a 102" whip then stay with a 102" whip since no one will dispute that a 102" whip is the BEST antenna ever for CB use.

If you still insist on going shorter then a Wilson 1000 mag mount in the center of your cab roof will be closest to a 102" whip.

Mounting a shorter antenna behind the cab always carries a signal penalty so I can't recommend that you consider doing that.

I ran a 102" whip for quite a few years on my truck. I had a toolbox in the bed that I mounted the whip to. I put it on the "front side" of the box (side closest to the tailgate) and made sure that I had the box grounded good. I ran a super galaxy with a 125 watt modulator driving a TNT 6 pack and never found anyone I couldn't talk to. The only time I was disappointed with the 102" whip was when I ran dual whips... It was no longer omni directional it was pretty much straight forward. If you can run the stainless steel 102" do it, if not I would have to agree with what's posted above, Wilson 1000 since you aren't running any power besides what the radio puts out.

If you like a 102" whip then stay with a 102" whip since no one will dispute that a 102" whip is the BEST antenna ever for CB use.

If you still insist on going shorter then a Wilson 1000 mag mount in the center of your cab roof will be closest to a 102" whip.

Mounting a shorter antenna behind the cab always carries a signal penalty so I can't recommend that you consider doing that.

If you do try to mount something shorter behind the cab, in the bed area, make sure that the antenna sticks at least a foot above the cab of the truck. If not your Standing Wave is gonna be off the charts. If you mount the antenna to the side of the box closest to the tailgate you will have a little more room for improvement. But up against the back of the cab you will run into issues. Just my experinece and .02 :headbang

You need to try and mount the antenna as high as possible. The 102" whip and wilson 1000 are both great antennas. Personaly I like the 102' whip a little better than the wilson 1000, but you can't go wrong with either of them.

Well thanks to everyone for all the input.
I do believe that I will stay with the 102" and I do believe it is the stainless that I have.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.