• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Which Mobile Antenna?

Brewmeister

May 10, 2010
I don't care for the stock co-phased antenna system in the 387 Peterbilt that I drive. I'm going to install a single antenna using a different mount (Outback Mount) and run a new coax from the new antenna into the truck to my Grant XL.

I'm considering the Predator 10K or a Wilson 2000; Both are within my price range, but I'd like to hear more suggestions.

My Grant XL has extra channels so I want an antenna with a broad frequency range. I'm wanting to get out better on AM and be able to do some DXing on SSB.

Thanks in advance. -Brew.

the antenna bracket is built into the top of the mirror assembly??

if that is the setup then
the Predator Comp 10k in either the 9 or 12 inch shaft
mounted driver side

the antenna bracket is built into the top of the mirror assembly??
if that is the setup then
the Predator Comp 10k in either the 9 or 12 inch shaft
mounted driver side

Unfortunately, no. The company I drive for spec'd the truck and the antennas are mounted along each side of the sleeper. I think they are about 2' long.

I'm told the CB antenna sytem is on some kind of built in "switcher", and that the truck's CB, am/fm radio and TV antenna are somehow integrated together.

I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I do know the system is not very good.

The Outback mount connects to the grab handle behind the sleeper and curves out and around the truck's faring. The entire antenna is exposed. Of course, I'm height limited; the tip of the antenna can't exceed 13'6", so I'm not sure of how long of a shaft I'll need at this point.

Thanks for the replies, please keep 'em coming!

The Outbacker system will be a definite improvement in your radio performance !! Now as far as antennas go ......I would measure from the bracket up to 13'-6" and then make my decision . The choices you have already been given are ALL great antennas . Just get the tallest antenna that you can and you'll be doing ALL you can do ! Remember HEIGHT is MIGHT when it comes to your antenna system ! Stay under the 13'-6" limit though !! With CSA 2010 an overheight ticket can mean trouble to your driving record and your company's ! If money is a concern , I would go with a BROWNING or the OLD STYLE K40 trucker antenna . If not the Wilson 2000 or 5000 and the Predator 10K if the height allows . The height would be my deciding factor ! GOOD LUCK and let us know how it works out for you !

the 10k should be the best way to go. different shaft & stinger lengths to customize to your application. and talk about being broad banded i have found no other as broad banded as the 10K the set up i use on one of my cars i can run 11 & 10 meters with. swrs are below 1.5 from 26.915 thru 28.500 mhz. you have many options with the 10K as far as lengths.

the 10k is available as a dual coil version that tunes to a little under 5 feet tall if you find you need to go that low . it also has a lifetime warranty

He's gonna need something with a long shaft as the towel bar is mounted below the rear window(assuming it has a rear window) but never the less the bar is about 3' below the roof line on a flat top, not sure about a stand up but that's gonna decide which shaft length you'll need brewsky.

If you use a coil style antenna the coil needs to be above the roof line.

He's gonna need something with a long shaft as the towel bar is mounted below the rear window(assuming it has a rear window) but never the less the bar is about 3' below the roof line on a flat top, not sure about a stand up but that's gonna decide which shaft length you'll need brewsky.

If you use a coil style antenna the coil needs to be above the roof line.

your absolutely right. he will need a long shaft so for that reason the
wilson 2000 sw is a great choice
p-10k will be a little better
im not sure what he has to work with but id say a 22 inch double
coil

kale has made a 36 inch shaft for mounting on the horizontal bar on the back of the tractor on a big rig . there were pics of it a year or 2 ago . contact him and he could do it again im sure . he will also help you pic which coil/s will be best with his antenna for your installation .

For more info, email him at cowtown10k@msn.com or call 817-790-6239

heres his archived forum .
Predator 10K Antennas

they are

Unfortunately, no. The company I drive for spec'd the truck and the antennas are mounted along each side of the sleeper. I think they are about 2' long.

I'm told the CB antenna sytem is on some kind of built in "switcher", and that the truck's CB, am/fm radio and TV antenna are somehow integrated together.

I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I do know the system is not very good.

The Outback mount connects to the grab handle behind the sleeper and curves out and around the truck's faring. The entire antenna is exposed. Of course, I'm height limited; the tip of the antenna can't exceed 13'6", so I'm not sure of how long of a shaft I'll need at this point.

Thanks for the replies, please keep 'em coming!
the stereo cb and if you have a tv they are mutlyplexed

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.