• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Which mobile radios have the best ears?

70cst

Dec 4, 2009
From reading various threads...if one wants power than one should use an external amp. So that leaves the receive section. With all being equal which radios (from the 80's-now) filters out the white noise best and also has good ears?
Rangers-Galaxy-Cobra-Stryker-Etc.
Thanks

The winner will be the radio that got a proper receive alignment from a good tech, or receive mod and alignment. If you buy your Export from Copper or H & Y and convert it yourself you will have average at best receive.

The winner will be the radio that got a proper receive alignment from a good tech, or receive mod and alignment. If you buy your Export from Copper or H & Y and convert it yourself you will have average at best receive.

You are spot on. Proper alignment is indeed an asset.

uniden grant xl
uniden grant lt
president grant

after that....:(

Very good, I might add the Cobra 2000, Uniden Madison & Washington as well. I have had some Magnum Exports that had super receive as well. And the newer version Magnums don't have the static noise levels that older models had.

the radio with the best recieve woud be the one with the best antenna setup
radio wont receive anything without a antenna plugged into it

Reactions: 2 people
My Cobra 148GTL Philippines model was the best I ever had. Really a solid radio and modifiable too.

Got into the exports after it and all have not been as good in the signal rejection dept.

My Stryker 440 isn't to bad but has lots of white noise with the incoming signal, the Cobra was clean.

the radio with the best recieve woud be the one with the best antenna setup
radio wont receive anything without a antenna plugged into it

Yup antenna and coax.......................and a good radio .....Height is mite..... My friend has a galaxy 40 ch base and talk about a talking and receiving radio. Has a big tower. People look at radio after radio. Buy the tower,antenna and coax first and well yes a good radio will help!!!!!

I've got the Bearcat 980. Receive is much better than my Galaxy 959. The noise just isn't there on SSB, and is greatly reduced on AM. On sideband I can hear all over the US with my 1/2 wave groundplane.

Sadly I can't get out since my antenna is 3 feet off the ground, and I'm barefoot.

I'm surprised it isn't more popular seeing as how it's pretty cheap in comparison to most of the other sideband rigs.

Hard to say..

back in the 80's was AR-3500
(still hard to beat even these days)
for regular CB was Cobra 146GTL

Although today if price is Not an Issue..
Icom IC-7000

a bit better priced
Icom 706 MKIIG

For CB alone i am unsure..
Given i have not used one in many years.
Perhaps the DX2000 cobra ?

Of course the Best radio in the World..
Is Fully Useless without a good antenna system.

Better to have the Best antenna
with decent coax..
and then worry about the radio.

Ofcourse even in the 80's..
I did Both Excellent radio and antenna
AR-3500 and a D-2500 antenna
(similar to todays I10K Mobile antennas)

Good info...

Interesting enough...I just bought a AR 3500 (100 watt) radio.
I am looking forward to trying it out. (y)

Hard to say..

back in the 80's was AR-3500
(still hard to beat even these days)
for regular CB was Cobra 146GTL

Although today if price is Not an Issue..
Icom IC-7000

a bit better priced
Icom 706 MKIIG

For CB alone i am unsure..
Given i have not used one in many years.
Perhaps the DX2000 cobra ?

Of course the Best radio in the World..
Is Fully Useless without a good antenna system.

Better to have the Best antenna
with decent coax..
and then worry about the radio.

Ofcourse even in the 80's..
I did Both Excellent radio and antenna
AR-3500 and a D-2500 antenna
(similar to todays I10K Mobile antennas)

Reactions: 2 people
I've never seen a radio that's got ears yet,is this a new American thing like audio gain from an antenna.

If your asking which radio has best sensitivity its probably a pointless question as most if not all will drop below the noise floor at 27mhz. Therefore any extra sensitivity is worthless unless you plan using your radio connected to a sign generator instead of an antenna.

What you should be seeking is a radio with good selectivity,good image rejection and a front end that doesn't overload easily,coupled to a high quality antenna system (the real ears of a set up)

You could do a lot worse than a cobra 148 gtl dx/ss360fm/president grant if AM is your thing if 120 channels is sufficient, if you need more then for a slight drop in selectivity/slight gain in sensitivity a president jackson is about as good as it gets in 11m exports,a lincoln/2830/2510/2600 is a good bet if you must have a frequency readout,ss3900's are a good modern choice.

If you just need 40 channels I would search out an old cobra 148 gtl or president grant xl, off the shelf at sensible prices it don't get much better.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.