• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Which Radio Is Better 139XLR or 142GTL

DJboutit

Nov 30, 2006
I am looking at getting my gf a base radio which of these 2 Cobras are overall better 139XLR or 142GTL

thats a real good toss up.having owned both i liked both.
they both had pretty much same rx/tx.but i think i like the
142gtl better myself.basically a 2000gtl without freq. conter
and clock.show your gf both see which one she thinks she
would like to have cause thier both good

The 142 is better. The 142 is similar to a Uniden Washington.

The 142 has a single conversion receiver whereas the the Cobra 2000 has a double conversion receiver. They are not basically the same.

Reactions: Farmer Brown
Master Chief said:
The 142 is better. The 142 is similar to a Uniden Washington.

The 142 has a single conversion receiver whereas the the Cobra 2000 has a double conversion receiver. They are not basically the same.
i meant they performed basically the same when i tested the 2 i had

I have never owned a 142 but I am on my second 139xlr and its a great raido, loads of modulation and very easy to work on.

I've had both, 2 or 3 139XLR's and only one 142.Both are super talkers.In fact, the 142 I had in the early '90s bled over a jukebox 2 blocks away.No power, just straight radio with Turner +2 and A99 antenna.But I favor the 139 because of it having the 858 chip, it will cover more channels than the 8719 of the 142.I got started in CB radio in 1980. I've had Trams, Cobra 2000's , etc, but I always came back to a 139XLR.

Either one will be a great choice. Boils down to the $$$.

The 139, with a few mods will scream on AM and has the sweetest TX audio on SSB bar none.

The 858 chip is vary mod friendly in the 139.

The 142, great rig also, just a simple peak and tweak will make it a screamer on AM and SSB.

If you like doing mods and tinkering inside the radio go for the 139.

If you want plug n play the 142.

Either way you will not be disappointed.

I just got my 139XLR repaired today. The AM side was not working, and was easily repaired. The tech I used has been around for decades, and said that it was a great rig, as others have said here... that it is easily modified. He also said that it comes with a built in speech processor. It really talks loud both on AM and SSB, even with a stock mic. I don't tend to have my rigs cranked to the max, but it is dead keying 2.5 watts and swinging to 10 on AM, and doing close to 18 watts on SSB. The receiver works fantastic, and I don't believe mine has had any mods or "super ears" done to it.

I can't knock the 142GTL either. The looks are a little nicer/fancier, and it has a solid, time tested board. You hear a lot of them on DX, and they always sound good.

To me, either one makes a great base rig for a very reasonable price.

RT307

139 or 142

i own both ,142 out talk the 139 anytime...in my opinion 142 is one best old cobra sideband radio s they ever made..I have talked skip all over the world with it..I recently installed a freq counter in the speaker area..is rock solid on side band

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.