• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Which tiny little HT

KD4UPL

Aug 5, 2012
I'm looking for a very small HT to carry in my pocket to transmit a very short distance to a mobile rig for cross band repeat. Only 440 is necessary but if it has other bands that's fine.
Yaesu's VX-1, VX-2, and VX-3 seem to meet the need. Can anyone give me the run down of what changed and what was better or worse between these models.
I'm also looking at the old Alinco credit card HT, DJ-C5. Does anyone have any experience with this or other small Alinco HT's?
I'm looking to buy something cheap and used. I know the radio will get banged around a lot since I work construction. I don't want to buy something new and/or expensive.
Thanks,

i second the Baofeng UV3R, they are cheap, and easily programed with CHIRPS. the radio and cable will run you less than $50.

The VX2 does not have an AA battery pack or an internal bar antenna for the AM broadcast band like the VX3. The VX2 has a volume control knob on the top and the VX3 has buttons on the front for volume control. The VX3 has a dedicated stereo headphone jack for the FM band.
The VX2 does not do well on the AM band with the usual dual band antennas.
I have a VX2. There are probably other differences but those are the ones that stand out to me. The batteries for the VX2 and 3 are the same, common digital camera batteries that are real inexpensive on ebay.
If it were not for the volume control difference I'd get a new VX3.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.