• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

which tri-mag mount is the best for the 10k...

biz

Dec 16, 2009
I was looking at the mounts out there and im noticing that most have a dome shaped area where the antenna would thread on....

so im guessing if you put a predator 10k that has a flat surface and thread it into one of these dome shaped mounts.... all the stress is going to be on the threads instead of the base of the antenna....

I already ordered a mount but it hasnet even been shipped yet so i think im going to cancel.

Im hoping one of you chimes in with the best style tri-mag mount and the best place to get it..

thx

Any Tri Mag mount should work fine...Some of the Tri Mags will have a cheep made mounting stud in the center where the antenna screws on, but it can be easily replaced with a better one if you think it's too cheep made.

When I was running a Tri Mag Mount with my 10K's, I replaced the stud with a Predator Stud, but mainly because the Predator Studs looked better with the 10K, compared to what was on the Tri Mag when I got it...

I've ran a tram tri-mag for 5 years now with the mount it came with but I did modify it when I changed the stock coax with mini-8x by adding a ground screw for the coax shield.

Last edited:
i bought a tram tri-mag mount on ebay for less than $40. but, it came with cheap coax and connector so i replaced it with a regular 3/8 24 thread antenna stud and a elbow connector. so for about $50 i had a really nice tri-mag mount. the magnets were very strong. they held a striker antenna at over 80mph. i had to really pull to break them loose when i took it off my truck.

Im hoping one of you chimes in with the best style tri-mag mount and the best place to get it..

thx

The best would be the $90 one Warlock (Rolling Radios) in VA sells.:whistle:

snickering_dog.gif

id suggest a quad mag mount .

i noticed many of these multi-mag mounts use aluminum strap for the frame work . it seems like that would be a bad thing since aluminum is not and wont become magnetic to carry the ground effect from the magnets .
can someone explain this for me please ?
thanks .

I would highly recommend just making a hole and going the solid-mount approach, it guarantees a good ground plane.

But, a quality triple magnet mount should do the job.

The only purpose of the magnetism is to hold the thing to the metal. It has nothing to do with the electrical properties of the mount/antenna. So, the mounting structure only has to be conductive, not magnetic. Aluminum conducts RF just dandy.
- 'Doc

Well, the magnets act as capacitive coupling for RF ground. There is no direct electrical connection from the magnet to the surface of the cars sheet metal other than capacitance.
:whistle:

A mag mount has a couple of drawbacks. Besides not offering the best RF connection, they can scratch the crap out of your paint job. With a triple or quad magnet arrangement, it can be three or four times worse than a single mag mount. It isn't a bad idea to give the mounting area an extra coat of wax/clean before putting the mount on. Another is to be sure that each magnet hasn't picked up fine metal shards, as it naturally will. They will get between the magnet and your paint job and tear the crap out of it. Use a piece of packing tape to clean/pull these shards off before you mount it on the vehicle. Been there; done that.

Bought one of these tri mag mounts off of Craigslist a couple of months ago new in the pkg for $25. Great piece of gear; but care must be taken to install it. They do use cheap coax and connectors; so changing to a better quality parts there might be considered. Since the coax is only 18 ft; the cable loss of the coax itself isn't really a major issue. But the crappy coax connector might be the weakest link - IMO . . .

Last edited:
Well, the magnets act as capacitive coupling for RF ground. There is no direct electrical connection from the magnet to the surface of the cars sheet metal other than capacitance.
:whistle:

A mag mount has a couple of drawbacks. Besides not offering the best RF connection, they can scratch the crap out of your paint job. With a triple or quad magnet arrangement, it can be three or four times worse than a single mag mount. It isn't a bad idea to give the mounting area an extra coat of wax/clean before putting the mount on. Another is to be sure that each magnet hasn't picked up fine metal shards, as it naturally will. They will get between the magnet and your paint job and tear the crap out of it. Use a piece of packing tape to clean/pull these shards off before you mount it on the vehicle. Been there; done that.

Bought one of these tri mag mounts off of Craigslist a couple of months ago new in the pkg for $25. Great piece of gear; but care must be taken to install it. They do use cheap coax and connectors; so changing to a better quality parts there might be considered. Since the coax is only 18 ft; the cable loss of the coax itself isn't really a major issue. But the crappy coax connector might be the weakest link - IMO . . .

If the thickness of the paint has anything to do with the magnets distance from it's metal counterpoise does the thickness of the paint change the capacitance? like moving a gama match in or out?

I have my P10K, 17" shaft on a quad mag mount on my Envoy. It will scratch the paint and eventually cause problems because of the moisture that will inevitably be trapped under the magnets.
As far as the capacitive ground I have run up to 1KW with no noticeable problems with VSWR.
I did not run the 1KW for an extended length of time, usually run 250W or less.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.