• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Who else Hand Loads for their Shootin Iron?

Why would you hand load?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I still have the old Lyman Orange Crusher press since 1975. This press has never given me any problems in all these years. I paid $40 for it back then.......

Lyman Orange Crusher.jpg

(Picture from on line.)

It's a PIA for me to post pic's ! I need to figure out an easier way or take a bunch with my camera download the card to the PC & post them ! Me & my phone don't get along ! Also I'm not very PC ( or phone ) savvy .:LOL:

Reactions: S&W357
I like my slug to go exactly where I want it to. So Accuracy I guess, but saving money by re-loading is also a good reason.
My Re-loading season starts now (Winter). I enjoy being in the shop reloading when it's miserable out.
Been Re-loading since 1980. .38's, 357, 41 mag, 45 Lc, 44 mag, .223, 30-30, and 30-06.
I currently only load .223's, 30-06, and 45 acp.
I use a RCBS Rock Chucker, Rcbs dies, and some Hornady.
My old Redding scales, and powder measure keep working.
I use a Lyman 1200 tumbler to make the Brass look Purdy.
I still have my Mec 600 Jr shotshell loader, for 12 gauge from my old trap shooting days.

Ive got the old Lyman Orange press a friend of mine gave me and an RCBS rock chucker. As well as a Ponsess Warren 375, and a Lee Load All for 12 guage. Dies for .38,9mm,45,45lc,.223,.30-30,30-06,and soon to be.270. I reload mainly for accuracy, but also for fun. When I got into shotshell reloading, it was cheaper. But now I find the lead to be more expensive to buy than just picking up 200 #7.5 federal shotshells at Wally world for 27.00. Most of the time, now I load 9mm and .223 with the old Lee Hand Loaders and a plastic mallet just to while the time away ona rainy or snowy day. Ill find one for .45 and lc one of these days just to play.

Ken , I inherited one of those Lee Kits you have , just haven't got around to trying it . My Homemade Tumbler ( rolling cylinder ) went 10-8 a while back , the belt broke & I'm having a hard time finding one that fits . I tried Big O-Rings but they last about 5 minutes & " See Ya' " :LOL: I was thinking of the Vibrator Tumbler , Harbor Freight sells , anyone tried one ? o_O

Ive never tried a tumbler...knock out the primer, run a brush through the brass.....ready to go. It might make a difference if I was shooting for moa...but I don't. I started with flintlocks, rifle, shotgun and pistol. Still have a softspot for every one I own. I also love my cap and ball revolvers, I do cast my own bullets for those and enjoy it. Ive got more black powder and ammo than Ill ever use....but its so damn fun LOL

Ken , I inherited one of those Lee Kits you have , just haven't got around to trying it . My Homemade Tumbler ( rolling cylinder ) went 10-8 a while back , the belt broke & I'm having a hard time finding one that fits . I tried Big O-Rings but they last about 5 minutes & " See Ya' " :LOL: I was thinking of the Vibrator Tumbler , Harbor Freight sells , anyone tried one ? o_O
Ive never tried a tumbler...knock out the primer, run a brush through the brass.....ready to go. It might make a difference if I was shooting for moa...but I don't. I started with flintlocks, rifle, shotgun and pistol. Still have a softspot for every one I own. I also love my cap and ball revolvers, I do cast my own bullets for those and enjoy it. Ive got more black powder and ammo than Ill ever use....but its so damn fun LOL
I started out with the Lee hand loaders. Mostly for straight walled pistol cartridges. I never worried about shinny brass. Now I realize that the tumbler is a good idea. It allows you to inspect the cases for any cracks or deformities. I also always find old brass that I didn't find during my last shooting session, and I clean them up and reload em. They may be discolored, but they still shoot. The main reason to tumble them is to keep your expensive Dies clean.
I also clean out the primer pocket and hole with a primer brush. It takes me a while for case prep, BUT, I've never had an incident with any cartridge I've loaded. Knock on wood. It gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling to build my own hand loads.

Fog , about the same here , I don't have one of those fancy cleaning stations but I'm Anal about my Brass/reloads I use a Dremel Tool w/ a small wire brush to clean the inside of my cases . :)

Reactions: Tallman
This is one idem that I have been using for the last 20 yrs or so - they have been well worth the money. My first one cost me $18 now they are around $60. These mic's check the head space on the casing.
I have 7 of them for different calibers.

The picture I took from a web site, made it easier then having to get camera out.
View attachment 32937

I use those too. But for a new rifle I still soot test them. You know where you take a brass case that has been neck re-sized and fired from that particular rifle and soft seat the ball.
Cover it with candle soot drop in place and lock the bolt down. Remove very carefully and read the telltale contact points. That way you can document the maximum length for that rifle. I only have one 30.06 so I don't need to worry about mixing up with rounds made for a different rifle.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.