• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Who to buy from online?

Nice to see them on here. I ordered from them based on recommendations from this board.

I emailed yesterday for status and then called today first thing - was looking to change shipping to 2nd day so I had it to install for the weekend and add a power mic and PA speaker I forgot to order on Sunday.

No communication back - neither email nor phone.

I did get notification that they shipped the unit this evening - not due to arrive till next Tuesday. There goes the weekend.

Price on the road devil is good - but if I can't get ahold of them - not worth the savings. I'll pay the $20 more and get it from Walcott.

Hope the radio is ok . . . .

Stay tuned I guess . . .

I have never dealt with Premiere Electronics personally, but I have a friend here locally that has. I am not trying to plug or diss this company, but here is what I know from him and hear on the radio.

He purchased a Galaxy 959 with their Megatune and a Wilson 1000. I don't think I see the wattage they claim from a single final radio (which may not be a bad thing), but on AM, he has probably the best sounding radio around here. Damn, making me run for my money. I love crystal clear audio but also resonably loud, without any distortion whatsoever. I can say that even with the stock mic (which he upgraded to a D104 M6B recently), he really does sound fantastic. Stock mic he sounded superb, and same with the D104 properly tuned just a tad louder. I am really impressed with his AM sound to say the least.

The flip side to this was the radio is noticably off frequency on SSB. Yeah, Galaxy's are notorious for this, but if I were to pay the bucks for a Megatune, I would hope they would align the radio for both AM and SSB.

These are observations from an outsider that has never dealt with this company. But man that radio really sounds awesome on AM by far. No clipped or overdriven AMC, crystal clear audio yet louder and sounds better than most around here. Is it just the Galaxy? or Premiere's Megatune? I don't know. But if I sound that good on my radios, I'm quite happy (AM only).

I do know he had some problems getting timely email customer support with orders and questions (via email), but I am "second hand" reporting this which leads to BS hearsay and opinions, so I'll stop. If I was reading this looking for real answers about this company, second hand information is not good enough.

Bottom line- If you are thinking of a purchase through this company and want good SSB, talk to them about SSB being on freq if performing their Megatune. I honestly don't know if that is part of this tune. I just report on what we hear on the airwaves with a brand new radio. He is off frequency SSB with us all, although tunable.

Alsworld

Highland,

Did you email us through our order status system? The only email I saw this morning regarding shipping was from a customer who ordered a Superstar 3900, but the order had shipped out yesterday and it was to late to change the shipping service. I apologize for our lack of communication regarding this matter and I'm very sorry you won't have the radio in time for the weekend.

Best wishes

Al,

Our description of the tune should really be changed. We typically don't see more than about 25 watts or so out of a DX959. When the description was written it was more or less referring to a Galaxy DX33 or similar single final export style radio. I will make sure we try harder in the future to improve our communication with customers.

Best wishes

emailed through your order status system Tuesday morning; left a message on your voicemail yesterday morning about 10am eastern time.

Alsworld , IM certainly no expert here ,but the Galaxy 959's with a good bench tune sound very nice with there own stock mic's !! over the years IM starting to think a lot of radios out there sound so much cleaner and nicer with there stock mic's !!(but not all stock mic's are created equal) I personally haven't ran a power mic in years on any radio in my car , stock mic's and RK-56er's .....with the way a lot of these radios are tuned (especially with swing kits (NPC's) or clipped goodies) they always seem to sound so much better with non-powered mic's. The other day I was talking to a couple of guys on AM ,or should I say I heard them, I was saying to myself how good one of the guys sounded , he was not ear pericing loud ,just a medium loud and telephone quality clear and crisp. I broke in and asked him what he was talking on ? he said it was a Cobra 19 plus with it's stock mic off a Wilson 1000 magmount , I was very impressed I told him and he said he had picked it up from a freind and didn't know if it was tuned or not ? I was just blown away on how clean this dude sounded !! .......and then i thought to myself that over the years ,I had heard those little 19s with the light shows for meters supposedly sounded pretty darn good with there stock mic's ......they were right !! (-:

I agree. His radio really sounded sweet with the stock mic. And in his case, a power mic was not needed. If this is an example of Premieres Megatune, they did a great job. I hate dirty radios, and his is very clean, crisp and clear.

My brothers Midland 79-290 did benefit from a D104 he tells me (I bought him both, but two years apart). I have not heard the radio since I sent him a D104 M6B this past January, but will in a few months. His radio is pure stock, no tune-ups.

I did not think he sounded bad with the stock mic, but it did not have the big punch like my friends Galaxy.

Alsworld

I might as well add my $.02 worth.
I bought one of the Cool Blue Magnum 257's online from Premier-Electronics. I had them set it up and mega-tune it.
I have to say it is just awesome. I have checked it on a REAL frequency counter and it is right on. Also the TX and RX are on the exact same frequency. It makes operating SSB so much easier. There are a lot of "EXPORT RADIOS" being sold that the RX & TX are NOT on the same freq.
As far as the tune-up it does all it is designed to do. I appreciate the way they set it up for loud audio but at the same time they did not clip and snip and hack it up to make it a splatter box. It has a very nice loud clear and smooth audio that I have been told is very pleasant to listen to. I have it in my van with a TX STAR KB250HDV with a 6ft silverload antenna. The combination works great together. I have to say I would recommend Premier-Electronics. They did an awesome job with my 257.
I have bought some things from Copper Electronics and no problem with them at all. I think they are a good company to deal with as well.
The only other online electronics dealer I have bought much from in Amateur Electronics in Milwaukee Wisconsin. they might not always have the absolute cheapest price but their service is top shelf all the way. If you have a problem with something they will make it right with you.
I do a lot of research before I buy something and try to learn as much about a company as I can before I buy from them. I would have to rate all three, Premier-Electronics, Copper Electronics, and Amateur Electronics as very good online business to buy from. Good luck with where ever you decide to buy from.
Take care, 73 and God Bless, John Nite-Eagle

I’d like to say you get what you pay for but I’m not sure what the lesson is here; maybe research first?

As some of you may have seen from other posts, been away from CB for a while and got a radio last year – the one used as an icon for this forum – the Midland 79-290 and a firestick cellular look alike mag mount. Bone stock radio – no mods. With antenna had maybe $250 in it.

The radio was noisy; lot of interference and hard to listen to for long periods of time. I spoke to a few people but for the most part I figured my questions were being ignored. SWR’s were around 2 – not great but not bad. I’m guessing there’s a reason firestik stopped making that antenna . . . . . .

Anyway, I dropped the radio on concrete last week and ordered a 959 and a little wil from Premiere which is what this threads about . . .

The 959 is quiet – I heard more conversations today from further away than I normally heard in a week. I also spoke to more people today that I had in the last six months. Several radio checks, all good reports.

I don’t remember the numbers exactly, but the radio was DKing at roughly 10 and swinging to 16 on am and pinning the meter on SSB. Looks like Premiere and Galaxy did a nice job with the radio. SWR was 1.2 with almost no adjustments.

And it was roughly the same price as the Midland setup . . . . . live and learn I guess.

Now to post a question on SWR and power . . . .

Your radio was set at about 4.8 watts dead key and about 25 watts PEP on a Bird 43P. I suspect the meter you are using to measure power is off a bit. We're very happy it's getting out well. Your mounting bracket shipped out yesterday via USPS.

Both the antenna and the radio were packed fine. Right sized outer cartons and plenty of padding.

The radio was put back in the original box and showed no signs of ever having left the box - no marks, fingerprints etc.

Here's a question that maybe desrves its own thread. The radio has variable power out and I think dials down to a 1 or 2 watt dead key.

If I ran an amp, looking at the 100-200 watt Magna Force's, would it just be a matter of dial down the radio's output and I'm good to go? Or should I actually have the radio de-tuned?

Depending on their tuning practice, you should be able to just turn the radio down and run the amp. Most shops will set a variable radio up so that it has max performance with the power control maxed, and the ability to tie right into an amp when turned down.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.