• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Who wants to build a yagi beam?

I local here has offered me his Maco 105 as a test bed. He runs a converted Henry 3000D (3CX3000A7) and LMR600 coax. All of a sudden his SWR is whacked out so we are going to pull it down and rebuild it using a DIRECT FEED driven element. The 10K gamma is going in the trash! No beta, delta, gamma, or T-Match......a DIRECT FEED!

I don't know if we will beat your snow season, but the antenna is coming down next weekend.

At this point, don't spend a whole lot of money on replacing your gamma fed antenna! You probably already own 95% of what you need to build a BETTER antenna!

Sorry for the delay, but there will be more to follow!

Last edited:
yagi beam

Hey Chief, what happen to this project.The snow left up here and the rain has pretty well quit. I am ready to start building.I was going to build another quad, but I wanted to try my hand at this. Later, ol smoker

I've got 3 different 4-element beam,stilling waiting to get started on this project or did you trash this project, Master Chief?

Some owa yagi links

The Optimized Wideband Array Yagi

6 Element 10m OWA YO file

Guys pick up a copy of the ARRL Antenna Book with software.
Included in the software are pgms from Dean N6BV. You can use the Yagi for Windows program (YW) and the Scale program to do anything you will ever need to build beams. Dean also has many preloaded beam files for all the bands on disk. If you think the Maco, JOGUNN etc antennas are great load up the 10m 5,6 and 7 element N6BV designs and scale them to 11m and you will never look back. Use the included scale program to model the above linked owa designs to .625 and .5 inch element tapers (Maco style) and
what freq. you choose. The OWA designs are very flat with good gain but
still check out the N6BV Beam designs they can't be beat for Gain/front to rear/front to back and swr. If you really want to do it up run these through
K6STI's Yagi Optimizer progam for final tweaks. After you get use to using the YW program, plug the info in for some of the CB beams sold today and
I bet you will be building with parts from DXeng. and TexasTowers.
Next step is to run the HFTA program also on the disk and look at how a properly tuned vertical stack with a stackbox from ArraySolutions will allow you to control your takeoff angle with lower/upper/both in phase or both out of phase for high angle. It's not just about gain it's about covering all the angles. 73 es gd reading.

Yep, that would almost cover it. You will have trouble getting K6STI's YO program however.

Dean's program is also a good one. Dean and I went back and forth on 15 meter yagi made in Germany. We modeled it and both were unable to to figure out why the real world results were different from his program results. We agreed the gamma was suspect.

The OWA design is the foundation to my project for everyone out here. However, most will not have the experience to figure it out. Scaling a 10-meter OWA to 11-meter doesn't work right. Try it and let us know what you found out. Been there, done that.

My project starts with a readily available Maco antenna and parts from DX Engineering, but I explained that from the beginning.

The antenna is EVERYTHING and I have been educating people on here for years about that fact. Its good to know they are seeing the light!

I HIGHLY encourage people to get out and experiment with antennas. Robalo took a KLM KT34a and converted it to CB. I praise him often for his efforts!

Last edited:
Hello Master Chief. Nice work on helping the group design antennas that will open and close the band. Doing the same here in South Jersey with the local guys. Showing them all the old info from W2PV,K8CC,K6MYC etc.
A few of N6BV'S 5 el beams went up this summer. Was a big Joegunn crowd until they saw what real gain and a 40db back door looked like. What kind of problem did you have with scaling the owa? Did it look good in YW then fall apart in build and testing? Will stay tuned to the project to see how you make out. 73.

P.S. What was the German 15m beam?
Only problem I ran into so far with YW was trying to model Mikes 11m5dx
Wyatt gave me the specs but something isn't right. Instead put one
together with the DX spacings and element lengths scaled from the
10m5 in Dave Leesons Yagi Design. Worked great.

I need to build a 1900 mhz directional verticle yagi for less than the $300.00 I saw for one at Wilson. What 's the parts and spec's for this application?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.