• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Why All The Concern About "Swing?"

swing is a good thing. i cant tell you how many times i have went to CH6 and heard some guy key up at a S 15 signal, then modulate and swing backwards to a S 9. obviously forward swing sounds a lot better then a over driven carrier level. HOWEVER. I have also seen radio set ups that depending on the way the swing was achieved, sounded extremelly distorted. so there are extremes on both ends of the scale. i have heard radios that dead keyed 10 watts, and swing 150 PEP and sound perfect, and others that had the same numbers, but sound really bad. It has a lot to do with the radio design, and the way the swing is achieved. for instance, a radio that keys 10 swings 150 PEP might only swing 40 RMS (this usually sounds pretty good) but one set up keys 10 swings 150PEP and swings 100RMS sounds bad (in general) and this can be seen on a scope as well, i can usually tell just by the way the signal looks on my scope before i even open a radio up whether it has been done right or not. but there are a lot of variables that affect it. and some are very suttle and not seen on a scope or spectrum analyzer. only heard.... in the end, thats what is the whole idea right? to be heard and sound great !!! just my 2 cents..

lonestarbandit,
Yes, it is, but no dead key at all. And in the same vein, FM is all dead key with no swing at all. Imagine that!
But then, neither is AM. So... what's the point?
- 'Doc

Mr Clean said:
I think another thing that caused the big swing thing in the 70s was sweep tubes. They didnt handle big DKs very well so why not say swing is king. I run all my stuff the same. 25 % DK of max swing. Say if running 1000 watt pep. 250 watt dk.Looks good on the meter. swings forward about 1 to 1 and a half S-units on most meters on the other end.

Wouldn't 1 to 1 from 250 DK be 500 pep ? or did you mean 1 to 4 for the 1000 watt pep ? or am I missing something here ? thanks

your not missing a thing, switch...

but 1 to 1 is 250 to 250 and 1 to 4 is 250 to 1g

What I said was I run my DK 25% of max swing. Usually swings the guy on the other ends meter one to to one and a half sunits. Foward swing is what im saying. :? What about that dont you understand?

What it amounts to is, "Mine's bigger than your's!". If that's what 'grabs' you, then good for you, but you'll eventually grow up.

No matter what you're talking about, there comes a point when "bigger is better" just isn't true any more. It's nice to have a 30 foot long limo, but where the @#$$ do you park the thing? (I don't even want to think about the fuel right now.)
- 'Doc

What? I dont have no big radio. I was just adding to the thread. Did I somehow make you angry? That would make me sad :( Peace!!

W5LZ said:
What it amounts to is, "Mine's bigger than your's!". If that's what 'grabs' you, then good for you, but you'll eventually grow up.

No matter what you're talking about, there comes a point when "bigger is better" just isn't true any more. It's nice to have a 30 foot long limo, but where the @#$$ do you park the thing? (I don't even want to think about the fuel right now.)
- 'Doc
a 30 foot limo ...well if you can afford that then you can afford the gas and parking...else you wouldn't of bought it...right? right!

bigger is better still stands as in the bigger they are the harder they fall :p
the bigger of them gets the woman(or is she a woman worryied only about that) :p

my amp is bigger then yours...what the case or the how many pills :p

I got a bigger brain being on this forums :p

lol 10-4? 10-4!

Mr Clean,
No, you didn't make me angry. This just isn't something to get angry over. That was just in reference to what this thread is about, and why. Nothing concerning your post.
- 'Doc

It's all what you want to sound like.Have some one with a variable carrier adjust it while he dead keys it .You will hear what takes place.High dead key radio cuts in on the audio but will crush a high swing radio with a louder audio sound.It becomes a balance of the right amount of carrier and the right amount of audio.When your talking skip see what the difference is when you drop a 100 dead key or a 1000watt dead key swinging 2400.See who's #'s they call.

There is a balance of the both, after all it is Amplitude Modulation. If you run a very low dead key, it looks real impressive on the S meter, but distortion becomes a problem. Ok so some guys say they can live with a distorted signal, but another thing to think about is you have to have enough Carrier to GET the signal to the other station. If the other guy has a solid carrier, and 100% modulation, he will cover you.
Make sense?

Jeff

Old topic but there is a guy around where I live who gets on the radio alot and says
" I'm gonna make a mudduck mad in the corner - in the corner - 50 watt dead key and I'm swingin yeah I'm swingin rite there 1kw in the corner, in the corner, yeah I just cooked me some mudducks" it's kinda funny.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.