• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Why is my FTM-350R Beat-boxing ?

Akytarus

May 25, 2009
Hi,

I've just noticed a strange occurrence when the left VFO is scanning the right VFO squelch starts to beat box. It only stops when the left VFO is tunned to a station.

The issue starts about 18-19 seconds into the video. At 52 seconds I key up on simplex using a hand held, the issue only stops while the carrier is held.

Any Help....?

Please see this video to see what I mean

Last edited:

Squelch Opening

That is strange. I do have to wonder what is transmitted on 191Mhz and whether or not this happens when you are on a more mainstream frequency on your right VFO?

I would say you are receiving the local oscillator of the receiver of other side.
Page 51 of manual lists I.F. frequencies.
One of them is 47.25MHz.

So under that condition 191.55 - 47.25 = 144.3MHz.
If you put left side on 144.3MHz, and right side on 191.55MHz then you should get a nice big carrier on the right side. This is likely due to a high powered L.O. and/or poor shielding between receivers. I think the feature of receiving vhf tv band is new.

The manual lists four different I.F. frequencies depending on mode, so the exact frequencies you get big carrier will change depending on side and mode.

I would say you are receiving the local oscillator of the receiver of other side.
Page 51 of manual lists I.F. frequencies.
One of them is 47.25MHz.

So under that condition 191.55 - 47.25 = 144.3MHz.
If you put left side on 144.3MHz, and right side on 191.55MHz then you should get a nice big carrier on the right side. This is likely due to a high powered L.O. and/or poor shielding between receivers. I think the feature of receiving vhf tv band is new.

The manual lists four different I.F. frequencies depending on mode, so the exact frequencies you get big carrier will change depending on side and mode.

Like I said, birdies. :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.