• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

why its important to have a quality cb radio?

A better quallity radio for starters. better audio, more bells and whistles, more channels, more power, ya gotta pay to play man.(y)

What do I think of that makes one radio better than another?
I would have to say how well it recieves compared to another radio using the same antenna/coax. Then, how well it modulates. Not all radios are the same in those dept's. You can always make a radio get out farther using power/linear. But unless it talks well -modulating- and recieves well and clean, I wouldn't want it or keep it. If it has SSB, then the quality of audio and how well it tunes/clarifies is another important consideration. Radios like the Cobra 148GTL and the RCI-2950DX have xlnt SSB character - as examples.
But that is my opinion...

Lets compare the two you listed. The Midland is a nice small radio that works great when space is tight or your going on vacation. It's AM 40 channels and is a legal cb radio to own and operate. Tiny radio's are usually a compromise in every area of performance do to the fact that the size was the main objective.

Stepping up to the Galaxy 959 is a jump in quality and performance in every area of the radio. It has SSB, more power, better receive and filtering, large meter, variable power, mic and RF gain, and talkback. Extra channels can be added down the road. Still a legal 40 channel SSB radio.

The next step up would be an Export radio. They are illegal to use on the cb band but when you do you get full featured radio's, FM as well as AM and SSB. More power yet and many bands of channels. It all depends on what you want to spend and what you fel you need.

The next step up would be an Export radio. They are illegal to use on the cb band but when you do you get full featured radio's, FM as well as AM and SSB. More power yet and many bands of channels. It all depends on what you want to spend and what you fel you need.

the export radios are 10 meter band radios right? and do you have to do any modifications to get on the 11 meter channels or do you just turn the dial? would the Galaxy 99V be an example of what your talking about?

thanks

The galaxys are generally louder, and a few more bells and whistles.. The export versions are stronger yet, but illegal to use in the US.

Yeah, the Galaxies and a lot of other 10 meter radios are illegal, but a lot of people buy and use them. Mostly because they have a lot of output power. With a decent base station antenna, they work very well and talk pretty loud. My preferred radio that I use constantly is a Magnum OmegaForce that swings with a 4 watt deadkey to 50 watts up. The recieve is great, and it is packed with all of the goodies. Talkback, great echo, built-in modulator circuit, blue-lit meters, dual mic plug-ins, and can be used from 25.165mhz to 29.995mhz. Has FM too, but I don't use it often.

But there are a lot of radios on the market that can do as much or more for under $300. It is a question of what you feel you need and how much you want to spend. A Cobra 148GTL can be had used for about $100 and is a fantastic radio - very good deal. Great first radio - for sure!

and you pretty much just turn the dial get to 11 meters? no modifying the radio at all?

At first, these radio have to be modified by a shop or some makes/models can be changed over by merely switching jumpers on the main board. Kinda like a computer has. After that, all you do is turn the dial and change the band switch on the front of the radio to change frequencies and bands. They are not all of the same in this regard.

no offence to 9C1DRIVER , but not everyone thinks exports are a step up from cb radios . they definately have more stock power and usually have more bells and whistles as well as the extra 10 meter channels . but as far as tx & rx performance goes most seem to take a back seat to older grants and 148s and such . comparing newer radios , i prefer my uniden 78 over my export on AM and i hope to get a older ssb capable cb radio in the next month or so .

I understand what you are saying Booty, the old Uniden Grant xl is hard to beat in the receive department. One of the main reasons that alot of Exports don't hear well is the shop that tuned and converted them. As you know out of the box they are a 10m ham radio. Most shops will do the conversion and a quick peak in output and pronounce your radio tuned and ready. When you have the receive aligned properly things do improve. Right now I have an old Uniden pc244 that has just as good if ears as my 2950.

Better Power
Better Audio
Better Receiver
Better Quality
Better features

All add to the pleasure of using your radio and enabling you to talk with and talk better to those you want to speak with

Of course
Better Antenna
Better Mike
and other things add to it as well

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.