• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Why No Spring DX?

Yankee

Apr 15, 2013
Last year about this time and my location, I had zero DX RX or TX at all for 23 days. People thought I was lying or doing something wrong, it was my antenna, my radio, my location or maybe the moon. Then one day, BAM, skip was back like it never left. People in the region around me were getting some skip through this whole time, which I only found out slowly over time and by meeting them on chats or in forums.

This year, almost the same thing, but about 2 months later in the year and not so severe. It will go for 1 to 5 days of zero reception and no transmit, then over an hours time it will fade in and I can log maybe 5 to 10 contacts from Texas around to New York. [I live in Wisconsin along the Mississippi River valley] Two or three hours later it fades out and that's it for another day or 3.

The spring swing does not explain this. I normally have California in the afternoon and EU or Florida in the morning and SA in the afternoon. Common enough to have logged over 3000 contacts during the rest of the year. So it's not the rig or antenna.

So here is my theory. I live in a narrow canyon that cuts down from the surrounding table land along the bluffs of the upper Mississippi. That is about 700 feet higher than me. The canyon is maybe a half mile wide. to the wast it is open down to the river, but generally speaking, I am in a topographical hole. Still, I get out cause I have concentrated on Vertical takeoff antennas that work very well most of the time.

The only thing different from my location and say a similar location in Missouri or Tennessee is, I sit over one of the earths largest iron ore deposits and I am on the 44th latitude. The 44th latitude ensures that I will have more static and HF disruption during geomagnetic storms than say, people in Florida have on the same day and geo storm. There are plenty of other people living on my latitude that still are able to get out fine. But they do not have this iron ore under them that goes out 200 to 300 miles in all directions.

So what do you think? Geo magnetic storm, fluctuating lines of earths magnetic field, over a huge deposit of rich iron ore. Can it affect HF radio propagation that much?

So what do you think? Geo magnetic storm,

Certainly geomagnetic storms are to blame for disrupting DX. Geomagnetic storms kill DX propagation.

fluctuating lines of earths magnetic field,

Not really

over a huge deposit of rich iron ore.

Not really. It can't affect skywave propagation.

Can it affect HF radio propagation that much?

Welcome to the club. I live at 45 degrees north and have been into radio for 37 years. If you think you are experiancing lack of DX as compared to others you should try 6m sometime. Day after day after day I see great propagation further to the south of me towards the Gulf states but nothing here. Zero. Nodda. Zilch. Sometimes it is a simple matter of timing.

Hey Captain Kilowatt. We talked a couple weeks ago, 169 Wisconsin. Nice sounding radio, but unfortunately, most of the year you are out of my footprint on bounces. :laugh:

Well, it does help to know my misery has company. But to tell the truth, I am about sick of this spring break. HAHAHA

Sorry dude. Not me. I haven't been on 11m/CB for about 25 years. Captain Kilowatt is just my screen name on the forum. Well......that and a nickname given to me by a radio announcer back in my broadcast engineering days.

Ah, OK. When you hear his radio, you will know why he uses that name. He sounds like he is pirating the WLS equipment. :tongue:

169 Wisconsin, hello there man, have spoke with you many times on 38LSB. 222 Daytona beach, FL mobile and base we have spoken several times. How's it been. I haven't heard you lately, DX has been rough for me as well lately. Between work and poor propagation, I haven't made many contacts lately. Gotta get back home and redo my system. Going to use my Anritsu site master this time and sweep my whole system. Gonna be fun and I know in the end it will be right!! Anyway just thought in would say hello and god bless and 73's.

Hey 222, glad to hear from ya buddy. I miss all my Florida friends that I spoke to daily. Some of them like you, I meet on chats and other forums, but it sure is a dry spell not being able to hear anything at all. This year it seems to be lasting an unusually long time.

Lil'Yeshua, thanks for the links, but 90% of the rest of the year I get out very well. In fact, have one antenna, a 102" whip that is out in my yard at ground level, directly over 19 copper wire radials I buried 2" into the grass. I get EU. Australia and most of SA with that at just about any time. I make my own ground conductivity. :) Thanks for the links though, I bookmarked them.

w9cll, No, I meant WLS Chicago. If they are even on the air any more. It's been awhile since I listened to them, but in the day, it's all there was worth listening to when Dick Biondi was on.

Reactions: 1 person
Last year about this time and my location, I had zero DX RX or TX at all for 23 days.

This year, almost the same thing, but about 2 months later in the year and not so severe.
Zero propagation here in Western Canada for last couple of months. Since that last major Sun flare that Robb started a thread months ago. 11m = zero, 20/18/15m a few stations pop up from time to time.

A good thing though, same as start of good weather and time to get outside away from the radio. Although, I turn the radio on every day hoping for some conditions of just a few months back. Looks like a good indicator of the end of cycle 24.

There is plenty of DX ahead for this cycle. Typically it takes about 4-5 years to go from a trough to a peak and another 6-7 years to go from a peak to a trough. Summer usually sees a lull in DX as well so look forward to some better times in the fall.

and another 6-7 years to go from a peak to a trough
Great, that's what I wanted to hear. :)

Klondike Mike, your comment falls in line with what I have been learning from all the space weather I have been studying, about the further North you go, the worse the propagation during magnetic storms. People further South had skip long before it gets to us. This is one of the things they describe that makes perfect sense to me. I did a short gate of the static I hear up here during a geomagnetic storm and gave the link to a friend of mine in Florida that was complaining about static. LOL, he was shocked to hear not frying fish, but our frying whale blubber we get. hehehe

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.