• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Why so few manpackable options?

Sep 4, 2012
I guess what really got me into HAM was the proficiency at RF theory and operating radios and utilizing appropriate signal sets for optimal communications without blasting 100000watts. I really don't have a huge interest in having competition rigs or making world wide contacts, I just wanted to know how to use HF to hit specific areas, VHF/UHF to communicate effectively while out hiking/hunting/camping (even if I'm using FRS/GMRS, its the skill set that makes them more effective in my mind).
So I guess my question comes down to, why so few manpackable commercial options. I mean sure there are options to make most mobile rigs manpackable, but I guess more specifically why aren't there more rigs with factory options for this (making reference to the yaesu 897). Something decently rugged, internal battery support, in a lightweight package that may not have all the bells and whistles. I guess there is always the option of milsurp stuff like the 104's and 138's, I just wonder if there isn't really a market for this stuff.

There are many options. You just need to hunker down and search. It's a niche extension of the hobby. There are commercial options, but most guys roll their own. It's easier to customize to your exact needs when you make it yourself. There are many foreign made military manpack rigs. I see more hitting the market. Israel is a big supplier, but most radios are US Surplus.

I've seen some British and South American military radios being sold as well. Most of these options are cheaper than the US made stuff. I've seen some Russian and Chinese military field radios being used also.

Basically, most hams are to fat and lazy to go schlepping thru the daisies.

YouTube has plenty of videos of SHTF go pack configurations. Most are ecomm wankers, but a few have some pretty cool, well thought out kits.

Last edited:
Although It is not a "manpack" rig, I really like my FT-897-D as a camping rig......it has been 8000 feet up in the Sierras, Pismo Beach on the dunes and everything inbetween.
Although I do not have it in a "Bug-out Kit", the radio, a couple of gel cells or even a couple of lawn tractor batteries, my LDG AT-200Pro, some wire, home made balun or the stainless steel whip mounted on the back of my truck and you got a radio station.
Bounced up and down trails,sitting out all day and night, perched on a rock on a hilltop.... Gotta love a radio with a carry handle on the side.

Jeff

MY FT-950 and my FTdx3000 have carry handles and like CK your not going to find those at any friggin campground!....
Besides AudioShocky:LOL:...
MY Wifes idea of roughing it is HOLIDAY INN instead of HILTON:tongue:....:whistle:
All the Best
Gary

Although It is not a "manpack" rig, I really like my FT-897-D as a camping rig......it has been 8000 feet up in the Sierras, Pismo Beach on the dunes and everything inbetween.
Although I do not have it in a "Bug-out Kit", the radio, a couple of gel cells or even a couple of lawn tractor batteries, my LDG AT-200Pro, some wire, home made balun or the stainless steel whip mounted on the back of my truck and you got a radio station.
Bounced up and down trails,sitting out all day and night, perched on a rock on a hilltop.... Gotta love a radio with a carry handle on the side.

Jeff

Wait what? The FT897D is not a manpack rig? It has internal batteries (option) and 20w on all bands last I checked? I mean sure the 817 is a bit more friendly but still...the 897 has internal batteries so, I give that a check in "manpackable" box

Reactions: 1 person
That FT-897 is manpack-able in theory, but it weighs a ton. You are looking at something like 10 lbs without the batteries. You can do it, but I'll bet you won't. It does make a fine bug-out box, but no chance it makes your B.O.B. The same can be said for the VX-1210 - essentially the 897 without the nice interface. It is only <20% lighter than the 897.

You can carry these, but you aren't going to kit out for a weekend with them AND your regular gear.

You could definitely make a go with the FT-817. Purpose built for that activity. Then there is the KX-3 from Elecraft. If you aren't going to BYO, the KX-3is definitely carryable and versatile.

There's also a problem with that '897 and it's internal batteries. There's a distinct lack of cooling that has to be corrected. Then you can figure on carrying several replacement batteries, don't forget that. And then you get to worry about a usable antenna, that's not as simple as it may sound. There's 'usable' and 'desirable' and they very seldom mean the same thing.
Lot's to consider...
- 'Doc

The logistics of 'bugging out' is very seldom thought about...

Are you saying that I won't be able to lead my five and three-year-old children and carry my 60 lb pack, seven rifles, and machete 150 miles to my missile silo in WV when the end of the world comes?

Anyhoo, back to the core of the thread. I guess it comes down to how you plan on manpacking the thing. If you are:
1) Planning on walking and talking: Spring for a Milsurp rig and then learn a lot about batteries. The VX-1210 could also work for this

2) Bringing it along hiking with you: KX-3, KX-1, FT-817, or a homebrew of some kind. They are light enough, versatile enough, and can handle a number of power configs

3) Glamping (Drive to camp or base camp): You can probably get away with the FT-897 here.

Also, I'd borrow a radio and try it out. No sense in blowing a lot of jingle until you are committed to one direction or another.

I have the KX3 and it is a bad ass little radio for the purpose described here. I've also owned the 897D and I wouldn't want to carry it. The Yaesu 817 is an option to consider, too.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.