• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Why Take a test???

My first answer was tongue in cheek of course.

A society without laws, rules, regulations and adequate enforcement of the same will decay into total anarchy in short order.

I am and always have been an avid fan of 11 meters but will use it as a prime example. The FCC gave up on it and even though there are a lot of good, considerate people that use it, you can get away with almost anything and it is loaded with foul mouthed, inconsiderate, bucket mouth, ratchet jaws who couldn't pass an eye test, much less a test of basic radio knowledge.

Now for another example and just to be fair to all, just look at 10M or 80M. Same kind of garbage going on there as 11M. Lack of funds for adequate enforcement.

if you want to operate somewhere besides 11M, study a little and take the test.

Hell, you can drive a car. Why do you need a driver's license? :w00t:

im not a ham and cant answer undertakers question . but i do think having to have a ticket and it being against the rules to talk to someone that doesnt have their ticket is probally a very good thing even if the safety issues were ignored . i can easily imagine some drunk ass idiot wanting to lock down/tie up a channel during an emergency . making it seem less inviting (read requiring someone to have a clue) probaly helps keep most of the rif-raf out . and im sure if folks never had a reason to LEARN ABOUT THEIR HOBBY that FATFORCE and GATORPOWER would be trying to shill their products to folks that dont know better on those bands .

. i can easily imagine some drunk ass idiot wanting to lock down/tie up a channel during an emergency . making it seem less inviting (read requiring someone to have a clue) probably helps keep most of the rif-raf out . .

Hammys do it also ... it's just more sophisticated with a license. :whistle::love:

Well when i got out of mortuary school many years ago... I vowed to never take another test!!!! But who knows.. maybe someday....:w00t:

Believe it or not....

In the early days of Citizen's Band, it too had etiquette. People were very polite and professional. QSL cards were even exchanged. I remember back in the early 60's when my friend's father had a Gonset G15, CB channels were relatively quiet and gentlemanly. Oh, and licenses were required to operate on the air as well. Believe it or not.

Last edited:
If this is true as you state, please explain federal regulation of private pilots, boats, alcohol, firearms, stock market, etc...

Some of those fall under interstate commerce, and are therefore constitutional for federal regulation.

However, the others should be handled at the state level.
"impracticality is a price the 1791 First Amendment commands we pay"

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.