• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Will cb radios ever reach the popularity it did in the 70's and 80's

sluggo

Aug 11, 2010
They say fads go around in circles with that said does anybody think that the cb craze we saw in the 70's and 80's will ever return to those heights?? Or has newer technology like cell phones and the internet stopped it from reaching those heights again. I would luv to see cb radio reach that popularity again before I die dam I miss those days.:sad::sad:

Maybe.
I tend to doubt it though.

Look at it as the difference between quantity and quality - I do. The quality now is far better. The radio freq's aren't as crowded as it used to be either. That is desirable - IMO. Better antennas and other equipment - too.

I never got into the 70s CB jargon....just talked normally.....fact is the rednecks and jerks who could not hold a conversation on the radio so they would just key up on those who could...made me get out of it....still have those types...but nothing like it was back then.

Cell phones the Internet etc. people say the technology today has killed the C.B. I really don't think it has because it is a different technology. You can't take out your cell phone and talk next to somebody on the road. I have never seen anybody advertise their cell number on their vehicle. We are now back to the days before CB's when it comes to communicating with other people on the road. I know people today have no idea how to hook up a CB. I think if we were allocated better frequencies than this AM band that picks up every electrical noise possible it would be more enticing and better coverage. If another couple of block buster movies would come out where the CB is one of the main plots of the story might bring it back again.

I don't think it will ever be that popular agian. That being said, I think the airwaves are better for it. Don't get me wrong I miss alot of the old contacts and such, I just don't miss 7lb of static.

i'm afraid its all over for the cb radio scene . around here Nova Scotia is quiet.
It sure was fun though 70's and 80's:(

some of the real old-timers i used to know in the early-mid 1980s are either dead or in prison. others moved on to ham radio, and tried to get me to do the same but i just don't have the $$$ even for a cheap 2m HH (i'd rather spend the money on my son's tuition and sports).

some of them are still on the air, but lots of the old clubs are pretty much gone. when i hear people saying their numbers, i don't recognize the voices anymore.

i think lots of people just outgrew them - with all the o/t at work, coaching, cub scouts, etc... i just don't have the time anymore.

that, and i don't want my kid hearing some of the foul language still going on over the radio.

every now and then i'll stop and talk story w/ someone if i see they have a big antenna or something, but chances are, they've never heard of the people i used to know. i don't think it's going to make a comeback anytime soon.

I remember back in the 70s one guy got a golden falcon 2k linear and would lock up all 23 channels....then another guy got one...then another....it was a mess.:D

NO. its that simple, modern technology has overtaken cb, ever tried surfing the net from a device that fits in your pocket? not likely with a cb, the fact cb even survives at all these days is a miracle, especially in times of cast away electronics that are cheaper to replace than repair.

As each solar cycle comes around, interest in CBing always picks up. But like disco, pro wrestling, hula hoops, whatever, it was a fad and will probably never again reach the popularity it had in the 70s. A funny thing though ... a while back I gave my son and his best friend a couple of my old cbs to use in their 4x4s when they went off-roading. Now almost all of his friends have one. Just takes a little exposure, I guess.

Yup.
Doesn't hurt to pass out a few free samples to get any product rolling.
CB allows freedom FROM the internet. That alone makes it unique today.

i doubt i would call it freedom. now that iv managed to make good friends with ham's. many of them frown on CB "and we all know why". and i dont think CB is going anywhere, why we have had millions of people during conditions the last few days + Mexico alone use CB, maybe it's because I'm in Cali....:laugh:
i enjoy CB, its all colors of people, personality's. i also enjoy HAM. so, i my self donot think CB radio is going anywhere. Honestly tho i think the whole HAM ticket thing is just to control us like sheep. got into it with a local about getting on 147.435 and yelling the all mighty "Squash" only to be told id be back out with my crack out and hams all up on me. its nothing special to pass a test a st0ned monkey could pass....:blushing:

CB Radio kicks ass!(y)

Maybe if CB radios stopped looking like this:
Browning_Baron__Sabre_1.jpg

And more like this:
3350lrg.jpg

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.