• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wilson 5000 vs. Little Wil

coolgreen

Jan 17, 2009
Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
Hi, this is my first post. I did a search and couldn't come up with an answer to my question.

I run a snow plowing business and recently put CBs in both my trucks. The problem is range. I'm only getting about a mile out of my Little Wils.

If I slap a few magmount Wilson 5000s on my trucks will there be a big difference?

I was into CBs when I was a kid, and I'm having a blast with these two units. I should have done this a lot sooner. I'm also thinking about a base station in the near future.

The only problem I find with CBs is the fact that no one seems to use them in my area - Newmarket, Ontario, Canada. I have not spoken to anyone except my other driver and one truck driver since installing them over a month ago.

By the way, my SWR readings are good on both units.

I couldn't tell you anything about the lil wil but I run a 5000 on my truck and get out in the 15-20 mile range barefoot with SWR's of 1:1.

Having ran both a Little Wil and W5000 (back to back), I can tell you I noticed a significant difference between the two...the 5000 is much better on both RX and TX than the Little Wil.

Want more range? Stick a Wilson 5000 on, and get a small amp for each radio, and increase your range dramatically!(y)

Can't do anything about the fact there is no one in your area that still uses CB Radios...After-All lets face it...CB Radio is Out-Dated Technology that has been replaced by the Cell Phone industry...

I have over 250 Pay phones in the Dallas area, and am suffering the same thing. Less than 5 years ago, I had over 500 Pay phones in the area, but because of everyone and their dog getting Cell Phones, I have had to pull over half of my phones out of service...Just way of the times!:cry:

have your radios been tuned and aligned ? that will increase their performance and range . i used a lil wil for a while with a small old 150ish watt amp . but amps are illegal and so is a radio doing more than 4 watts on AM , so if you wanna stay legal............
its ALWAYS best to invest in the best antenna you can afford and many many many folks swear by the wilson 1000's and 5000's .

Coolgreen,
I have both ants. the little wil is good for if you are convoying and you only need short range. My 5K was my primary ant. with a 2510 and on avg. i could talk 14 to 20 miles any day of the week. My furthest contact with the same 2510 & 5k, was johannesburg, africa. Obviously that was with a band opening. I would definately run a 5K over a lil wil no questions asked. We keep the lil wil and a pro 510 in my xyl's emergency kit in her car.:)

well both are good antennas.the 5000 is better.id add a power mic like a
superstar 452 only bout 20bucks .if ya wanna increase range but stay
legal look into radios with ssb.make sure your squelch is fully counterclockwise

Yup like B.Monster said, have your radio tuned and aligned by a good tech. as well as a 5000 and you should be GTG. (y)

Last edited:
The upgrade from the Lil Wil to the Wilson 5000 is money well spent.

It will increase you RX and TX considerably. Upgrading the antenna at this point will actually do more than paying to have your radio tuned up.

Later if you want to have your radio tuned go for it, but definitely upgrade the antenna first.

Wilson 5000 is a great antenna, I have used it on many many vehicles.

Reactions: W4CJB
You should be hearing CBers from the greater metropolitan area of Toronto, or at least from the northern end of it.

Dont tell me theres no CB activity among its 5+ million population.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.