• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wilson 5000 vs. Little Wil

I hope the Wilson 5000 will bring in more people. I'm sick of hearing 40 channels of static. I was trying to find someone to talk to today with no luck at all.

I was thinking of putting a CB in my Jeep, but I may re-think it if there's no one to talk to.

I am no radio wizard but there are times when I hear nothing also, be it due to SUN SPOT ACTIVITY or what ever is going on in the atmosphere. Dont give up I live 23 miles north of NY CITY and the truckers are always on, but sometimes they aint strange but true and I know they are out there!! Depends on conditions!!

There are a couple of ways at looking at the present situation. Because there aren't many CB'ers, then there will be less interference in your communications. The 11 meter CB band is all to yourself and your service vehicle right now in your area. CB isn't dead, and I suspect that it will make a return despite cell phones. For one very good reason: that it allows people to speak their minds on government as they should do. Otherwise, there are few means of people being able to collectively and freely speak their minds. It's a Canadians right as much as it is an American right; don't ever let it go...

The Wilson 5000 on the mobile SSB with a 100 watt or less linear, and a 3 element beam at the shop and you should be good to go for 40 miles on SSB. Did you shoot up your expense/allocation for communications; or do you have SSB radios already?

Reactions: lenny
If your only car to car or maybe just for vactioning or this hobby really isn't a hobby at all for you ? The Lil Wil would be OK. If you plan on making this a hobby and you plan on being around for a while ? Don't waste your money on a Lil Wil , spend a few more dollars on the 1000 or 5000 antenna.

They are just all around better with performance. 90% of your whole system is about antenna , it's one area you wouldn't want to skimp on if you didn't have to. As far as the 1000 and 5000 are concerned , if you don't plan on running any big power over 500 watts or so , you can just go with the 1000 , if you plan on being the talk of the town and running over that ? go with the 5000.

They are both good TX/RXing antenna's and I personally only find the power capability is the olny differance between the two antenna's (my experiance), but both are much better then the Lil Wil .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.