• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wind Load on SolarCon A99 with/GPK

With the lightweight Ana small footprint of that antenna I would think it would handle a wind load of close to 80mph if not more. I could be wrong here, so let's see what solarcom says.
This is all I could find as to the wind load rating for the A99 per the description.

with the heavy duty mounting plate, this base station antenna can withstand greater wind loads.
Take this at face value. But there is a formula to determine wind load calculation, but it's not simple. Here it is directly from Commscope.
Wind load is calculated using the following equation:

Where:

• Fw = Force due to wind (lbf, N)

• ρ = Air Density (.075lb/ft3, 1.22 kg/m3)

• Cdp = Profile Drag Coefficient (from text or experimental data)

• λ = Length/Width Aspect Ratio Correction Factor

• V = Wind Velocity (ft/s, m/s)

• A = Cross Sectional Area Normal to wind direction (length*width) (ft2,m2)
page3image22488
page3image22912

Fw =12⋅ρ⋅(Cdp⋅λ)⋅V2 ⋅A

This was taken from www.commscope.com.
page3image24928

Wind loading is usually expressed as equivalent surface area exposed to the wind. For example my antennas wind loading is 8.5 square feet. That means the pressure exerted on it from the wind is the same as holding out 8.5 square feet of a flat object like plywood etc. Do you mean actual wind loading or do you mean maximum wind survivability which is the highest wind speed it can withstand before failure? Windloading is usually used to determine how strong the supporting structure needs to be.

Reactions: 222DBFL
The Maco Website, for example, says the V58 has a: "2.56 sq ft wind load".

But there is no such information on the A99...

I'm in the annoying process of applying for a Special Permit to install my antenna. Local city has restrictive ordinances and I need to appeal for relief. So, as I prepare my application, I want to include as much information as possible so I can win!

I'm in the annoying process of applying for a Special Permit to install my antenna. Local city has restrictive ordinances and I need to appeal for relief.

You poor SOB. :( I put up a 64 foot tower and can hang anything I want from it. No permits required at any stage. I wouldn't be too worried about the windloading. Most people have no idea what it means anyway. Just give them the dimensions.

Reactions: Road Squawker
when we had huge snow storm years ago winds where close to 80 mph so they right here.by the way i had a antron 99
l recall a couple of youtube vids that pertained to this sort of discussion.. check em out !! XXX

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.