• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Winter is coming!!!

Sounds great. Thanks. The temperatures are a little better than I had expected. I knew the Gulf Stream kept you guys warmer than on this side but thought it would be a bit cooler. We hope to visit the Ann Frank House, the Van Gogh museum, and hopefully the Groesbeek Canadian War Memorial Cemetery and the area around Keukenhof Tulip Gardens. May even rent a car and travel into Germany and Belgium just to say we did.
You won't be sorry, lots to see most people here speak fluent English as well.
Been to Groesbeek memorial cemetery myself paying respect there, all graves here from allied soldiers are kept by families tha fight for the privilidge to do so.
Many families contacted the family's of the soldiers burried here sending pictures of the grave and how it is kept immaculate, friendships came from that as well.
Even after 80 years people here don't forget the soldiers that gave their life for our freedom.
Watch out for Belgian beer ;)

Not winter.
81° and fresh air, Bass Lake Calif.
Getting ready to cook some burgers on the grill.

Jeff
20230912_114329_HDR.jpg
20230912_113734.jpg
20230912_113543.jpg
20230912_113205_HDR.jpg

Down to 53 here and I just lit the wood stove for the first time this year. Weather app says its going to get down to 38 tonight with a frost warning in low areas.
I wish! Our electric bill was over $500 last month.... What part of the world are you in? Delaware used to get a lot colder than it does now.

We used to burn a lot of wood, I became friends with a guy who has a tree cutting company. I would pick up wood from his job after I got off work, and if I got there before they left, they would help me load it into my stake body dump. All summer I would dump the wood in the back yard. We would burn 10 cords ourselves, my inlaws about 6 and my parents about 5. Eventually I bought a log splitter, and the kids would stack it in the truck from the time they were big enough to pick it up. I would sell the extra wood and put several hundred dollars in my pocket over the weekend. Fond memories and truly back breaking for sure. By the time Monday morning rolled around, I felt like I got hit by a truck. Then my job sent me to Montreal for a few years, and I bought a gas furnace to make it easier on the wife. Now the kids are grown, and we have fond memories of those days. Needless to say, my kids are not afraid of hard work.

Sorry for the rambling, but I was on a roll.

Chris

I wish! Our electric bill was over $500 last month.... What part of the world are you in? Delaware used to get a lot colder than it does now.

We used to burn a lot of wood, I became friends with a guy who has a tree cutting company. I would pick up wood from his job after I got off work, and if I got there before they left, they would help me load it into my stake body dump. All summer I would dump the wood in the back yard. We would burn 10 cords ourselves, my inlaws about 6 and my parents about 5. Eventually I bought a log splitter, and the kids would stack it in the truck from the time they were big enough to pick it up. I would sell the extra wood and put several hundred dollars in my pocket over the weekend. Fond memories and truly back breaking for sure. By the time Monday morning rolled around, I felt like I got hit by a truck. Then my job sent me to Montreal for a few years, and I bought a gas furnace to make it easier on the wife. Now the kids are grown, and we have fond memories of those days. Needless to say, my kids are not afraid of hard work.

Chris
Sounds like the story of my working life in this big old colonial 2 family plank house I heated with wood. Sometime I would sleep on the floor because my back hurt so bad from dealing with wood. And hope I could stand up and go to work the next day. I'm too old now and had to start burning coal so I could still function.

Chris
Northern Minnesota. We burn 3 cord here. The cabin is only 24'x24' though. My dad burns about 10 cord, he is in central MN.

I deleted it the first time becaues I thought I screwed up and replied to the wrong person lol. Had to put it back.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Yum, some know how to live !
Just some burgers, but the scenery is amazing, this lake is about one hour from the Hwy 41 entrance to Yosemite and about 55 min from home.
The summer crowds are finally gone, there were only a few other cars in the whole day use area.
My favorite time of year.

Jeff

G
20230912_113208.jpg

Sounds like the story of my working life in this big old colonial 2 family plank house I heated with wood. Sometime I would sleep on the floor because my back hurt so bad from dealing with wood. And hope I could stand up and go to work the next day. I'm too old now and had to start burning coal so I could still function.
We used to burn 4-5 cords a year, more if it was a cold winter.
No more.
I am done with felling cutting splitting hualing stacking carrying and cleaning up the mess it all leaves behind.
Now I log into the thermostat with my phone and turn the AC on 1/2 hour before we get home and I don't miss any of it.

Jeff

Electricity here, solar panels covering yearly use.
New central heating system with latest ne high performance heating, using 500 cubic meter gas a year for heating, shower and warm water use, so my bill is about 60 euro's a month.
House fully insulated with highest level of insulation windows doors etc.
2800 feet in total 3 story's , 4 bedroom house.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.