• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wireless headphone mic combo

I was considering the Sennheiser RS120 for my TV, but haven’t taken the plunge yet. I like the way they setup the charger. With an appropriate adapter, I can’t see why these wouldn’t work for any monaural source like an HF rig. Of course with anything wireless, the main concern would be about range and interference noise. At least this set has 3 different 926 Mhz receive frequencies to choose from and claims a long range. This set once sold for over $100. They average around $50 now since they have been on the market awhile.

Reactions: Mudfoot
I use a bluetooth stereo phone headset. You have to be using a rig control software program and have a computer with bluetooth to work though.

Hail makes bluetooth adapters for the radio and headset end. They are costly and use up batteries.

That's what I was wanting. Like, an adapter that fits the radios 8 pin. Nothing huge or goober looking. I want a lightweight headset, something like operators/secretaries use. I have HRD, but it's a novelty that I occasionally use.

Actually these go on the end of a XLR mic between a typical Heil XLR to 8 pin radio cable.

You could be creative to make it work for something you're looking for.

Your HRD should work if your computer has Bluetooth then go with any (preferably stereo) Bluetooth headset you like.

31nVZJA5UUL._AC_SY400_.jpg

AirlineMicro-display.jpg

If you want just a wireless mic, this is the best one for lightweight and no interference from your HF rig. I use this one for mobile operation but with a PTT because VOX won't work well because of the RX audio tripping it.

You probably seen these being used by product spokesmen at trade shows.

I just made my own cable from the mics RX unit (1/8 inch TRS) to my Icom 7000's Cat5 jack. Being Icom, I had to install a 1 uF non-polarized tantalum capacitor in series with mic lead to block the voltage from the radio's mic port. This may be needed to be done with any radio that has voltage supply on the mic jack/port.

Last edited:
That's a good find! This is for VOX only unless you rig up an external PTT before the RJ-22 connector.

Easy to adapt with standard telephone connectors if you have a crimper which you can but at Home depot and other hardware stores.

It fails to mention you need to block the voltage on the mic line for Icom radios and possibly others.I contacted K7SFN to see what he says about this. I'll post a reply when I hear back.

For those who aren't aware, read this when attempting to use non electret mics on modern Icom radios and possibly other radios that supply voltage to power electrec mics on via the mic +(hot) pinout,

All ICOM transceivers utilize “phantom power” on their microphone inputs. Borrowing technology from the recording studios, DC power is applied via the mic line to energize the electret elements used in stock Icom microphones.

The BIG problem with this is when you try using a REAL (dynamic) microphone. Connecting a dynamic into your mic input will provide a nice short of the +8V DC power straight to ground. SMOKE CITY!!!

To use any dynamic element on these phantom powered inputs (which should NEVER be applied to a mic input of a radio transmitter, IMHO), the input must be de-coupled so the mic audio AC signal can pass through to the mic preamp, while simultaneously blocking the DC voltage from reaching that mic element. Simply install a 1 µF non-polarized tantalum capacitor in series with mic lead. You may get by with a .68 F or a .47 uF, but anything less (.01 µF, .005 µF, etc.) will not pass any speech audio worth listening to). The cap MUST be a non-polarized type.

Last edited:
Here is the guy that alot of friends is using his wireless setup.

KT9D. Look him up on QRZ. He sets them completely up for your radio.

Just got reply about the Jabra headset, the Icom 7610 and 7300 have a setting in the menu to turn off 8v phantom power so it is safe to wire direct. Other newer Icoms models may have this too.

My Icom 7000 has 8v phantom power always active so it will need a blocking cap to avoid burning up the radio's internal regulator.

Any other radio I would measure for voltage on the mic line before using a non stock mic or a radio specific mic cable like the Heils which might have a blocking cap already installed for radio's that need them.

This cable for theJabra is easy to make and I already have all the parts, just need to get the headset.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.