• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Woodpecker sound in DX Land

9C1Driver

Aug 13, 2008
I'm sure many of you have heard this sound in the freeband channels above cb 40. So what is the deal with this sound and where does it come from? Your thoughts?

When DX rolls in from the southern US I hear an interesting wideband signal every 40 KHz or 4 channels. It covers well over 1 Mhz. of spectrum and makes a repetitive sound something like "vavervavarump" at about a 1.5 second interval over and over for hours. It almost sounds like some alien transmission but it's probably an induction RF heating unit or plasma torch many states away with an RF leak. Although, OTH radar is not impossible since the pulses seem like the right duration.

It could be OTH radar however the newer systems do not sound like the old Russian woodpecker of the 80's. Google Chinese Dragon radar and look for a sound byte. That seems to be the one OTH radar most people hear nowadays. Generally OTH radar sweeps across the band BTW and does not stay put.

Reactions: 1 person
So,what kind of info is being transmitted you think?

It's radar. Pulse goes out hits something and bounces back to the receiver. The pulses have to be timed so the transmitter is off when the receiver is on basically. There may be something embedded but it would be of no consequence for interception and would be encrypted anyway.

How Radar Works

if it's of no consequence, why then encrypt it?:glare:

Signal identifier so the receiver can lock on to the signal despite interference. If someone decoded it they could send a signal back effectively jamming it. The old Soviet OTH Woodpecker radar could be forced to move off frequency if a series of dots were sent in CW at the proper speed. Things have come a long way since then.

And by no consequence I meant to the regular listener.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.