• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Workman FT-311 TVI Filter

JJim

Jul 2, 2005
www.yoursaftnet.com
Hello everybody,

I have 2 questions here about the Workman FT-311 TVI Filter.

Question the first:
Has anybody ever used one of these filters or know anything about them? I know they are low wattage (100 watts) but I am curious if this filter is worth using when I am not running anything above 100 watts.

Question the second:
Now, while on the subject, what would happen if I fired up my AMPower 275 amp with this filter in-line? Would I see smoke? Would I damage my radio? Would I damage the AMP, the antenna? I just do NOT know what can happen and I am curious. :twisted: Keep in mind, I am not SOOOOOO curious that I want to just try it and watch the fireworks!

DX is in... Hope to QSO with some of you guys on 38LSB
73's the 351 NJ is QSX in the Garden.

Thanks guys.

Jim

Uniden President HR2510
EchoMax 2000
Original M400 antenna
AMPower 275 amp. (working great)

JJim...try the filter with just the radio...(check SWR's)
if it does not raise the SWR's.....hook it up...

Edit...dont run that filter with the 275...thats a 300w pep
amp...ull burn up the filter...or mabye something else...

AM POWER

FT-311 Filter

Thanks for the response Adam.
Also, here is one problem that I am having. I have to hook the filter up in-line before the Amplifier.
Follow this coax line:
Coax from radio to a Workman 3 position switch
Coax from switch to the filter
Coax from filter to Amplifier
Coax from Amplifier to 3 range Power/Modulation/SWR Meter
Coax from Meter directly to antenna
In this configuration, when I key the mic, I get a horrible squealing noise from my Uniden HR2510 radio, but not from my Voyage VR9000 radio. :?
When I move the filter between my Amp and meter, it works fine. I obviously cannot run it here because of the wattage limitations. Any suggestions here. I have checked everything several times, disconnected and reconnected several times, had a friend check my work. Same symptoms. It is defying all logic (to me).

Any ideas? Anybody?

Thanx

-jim

Try a double barrel conector (no coax) from radio to filter..
(or a right angle ) take switch out of line...go from filter 6' long
to amp...then 6' long to meters...then ant out...
That should fix ur problem...

AM POWER

FT-311 Filter

OK... it seems that both of you are thinking the switch is the problem? I only guess this because you both suggest getting rid of the switch. What exactly is happening here? Is this a common problem? Sorry to sound like a 3 year old (question box). Being new at this, I am going to make the usual newbie errors, but I always like to go to you guys to get the advice and the schooling before releasing the smoke from any of my components. The switch is a 1000 watt switch (for what it is worth).

Thanks again guys. You're the best!

-jim

See ya in skipland.... 38LSB the 351 NJ... QSX in the garden..

the reason i said get rid of the switch. is first off it should be at the very end, and you dont mention having mutiple antennas so its not needed. 8) no need for the filter between radio and amp unless its been hacked all up. look for a Drake TV-3300-LP on ebay. put that after your amp and ground them.(radio,amp,filter)

FT-311 Filter

Sorry guys

You are suffering from "lack of information" due to my failure to give some needed details.

1st, I have the switch because I am using 3 different radios on 1 antenna. That is also why the switch is first. This way, I can use either straight out signal or I can turn on the Amp on any of the 3 radios.
Now, the 3 radios I have here are: 1=Uniden President HR2510, 2=Voyage VR9000, 3=Cobra 142GTL. The 2510 is running about 15 watts, the VR9000 is running 15watt DK swinging up to 40watts, the 142GTL is pretty much stock 5 watts to 8. With the original hookup I described, the VR9000 worked just fine as well as the 142. The 2510 however, was producing a horrible squeal when I keyed the mic. Now it only does this since I installed the filter. The main purpose for the filter was because I am bleeding into my surround sound sub woofer in the house. I am also bleeding one of my neighbors' computer speakers. I misread the specs on the filter and thought I was getting a 1000 watt filter when, in fact, it was 100 watts. Again, that is the reason I had put the filter "before" the amp. it was to clean up the signal and TVI for all 3 radios. Once the Amp is turned on, I am most likely going to create bleedover. (Not a real problem since I rarely use the Amp before midnight).

Bottom line here guys. Why do I only have a problem keying one radio and not the others? Also, am I pissing into the wind here with this filter? Should I just get another and put it after the Amp?

I am sorry for the incomplete picture. Sometimes I forget that just because I know exactly what is going on, not everybody else does.

thanx again guys,

jim

No problem JJim..:)
Your AM-275 can be AB biased for a Much cleaner signal out...
(just an option)
the other thing...
reasion why i said pull the switch is cause u have RF loss from the coax...and that can cause problems as well...

What kind of coax are you using ?? and how many feet for jumpers?? are they all the same length??
Id recommend 6' length for the jumpers..not 3' and i hope ur not using mini 8 coax...??? :oops:

Rg213U or Rg 217U would be great for all your coax needs :)

let me know??

AM POWER

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.