• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Workman P5000 3 window meter

cbradiomagazine.com

2008 - 2014 / Pau Hana
Jan 3, 2007
Hey Guys,

I'm currently doing a review of three meters and this was one of them. While the article is a little ways off and the videos should be posted in a week or I wanted to offer a little fair warning here.

If you are planning on buying one of these meters here is something to consider. The meter itself seems to work fairly well for SWR, PEP, MOD. Average results and some variances but nothing I'd get all upset about so overall not a terrible meter in function...BUT

1) The knob on the back for the monitor volume was missing straight out of the box.
2) The knobs they used on the front are worthless, the outer black section actually slides around the inner white section so when you turn the knob it isn't even effecting the switch. Hard to explain but when you see my video you'll understand better. Basically the knobs don't work (although the switches and potentiometers themselves work perfectly).

So as long as you don't mind pulling off the crappy outer section of the knob to be able to change the power scale etc the meter works fine, but for close to $100 having the knobs not work out of the box makes it a no go as far as I'm concerned.

Thought I'd post this prior to the review in case anyone was ready to pull the trigger this week :)

I know he's fair and balanced...

Tis why I'd hate to see wasted effort on something of such poor quality. But, I guess once we see the final review with video we'll all be shocked by Workmans' "workmanship".

im glad cbradiomagazine reports back wheather his outcome is good or bad.
cause i was actually looking at these.i currently have a workman HP 201s
mini meter. seems ok to me.but back to topic without his effort and time
we wouldnt know this.and cbmagazine THANK YOU for any/all efforts you do
in any review,video,ect

Reactions: 1 person
im glad cbradiomagazine reports back wheather his outcome is good or bad.
cause i was actually looking at these.i currently have a workman HP 201s
mini meter. seems ok to me.but back to topic without his effort and time
we wouldnt know this.and cbmagazine THANK YOU for any/all efforts you do
in any review,video,ect

I applaud his efforts also. Who else runs a site with valuable info regarding the hobby? I have read his site for years and still enjoy doing so.

Do not insinuate (in future posts} that I intended to disparage this man. His "warning" about this meter speaks of his integrity. It's obviously a POS meter, which is why I would rather see the reviews on the other ones he is considering to review.

No offense taken on this end :) The meter itself isn't anything awful, but the knobs not working straight out of the box is what got me.

I should have some videos posted tonight. Compared to the slightly more expensive Dosy TC4001-P that I also was messing with last night the Workman to me isn't the best buy.

I always try to be as fair as possible on this stuff and at the same time I'm just an end user like everyone else here and there are plenty of people here on the forum who have more knowledge and experience than I do. My goal has always been to provide information from the perspective of the end user.

My plan is to review the Dosy TC4001-P, Workman P5000, and Astatic 600 then sell them and move on to the Palstar PM-2000, Autek WM-1, Daiwa CN-810HP. If anyone has a popular one they want to see more on that I'm missing let me know.

I'll look into it Booty - the Para Dynamics stuff isn't great quality so not sure if I want to buy another one of their meters. If I can get one at a good price I'll pick it up.

Got the Workman review up - Workman P5000 SWR Watt Modulation Meter Overview - YouTube

Should have the Dosy TC-4001P posted shortly. Finished the Astatic 600 video last night and also should have the MFJ-828 video posted next week.

You should do a review on the redman cb shop rm3001 his line is meters are nice made in america i actually just picked one of the rm3001 meters works very well

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.