• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wouxun Question

dksac2

Jun 8, 2013
I have a KG-UV6D, it is the 5Mhz version. Is there a way to program it for the 2.5KH?
Also, from what I understand, it's a land based mobile. I want to know what frequencies I can legally program it to such as VHF/UHF Ham, GMRS, MURS ect or is it for licensed business radio only. I have all the FCC licenses, but don't know if this radio will ever be part 90 legal, even if it is changed for the 2.5 Mhz narrow banding.
I have the programming cord and can use the Commander software to program it, but don't have anything else except the disc that came with the radio, which I never used. I have found them to be a major pain with other radios. The Commander programmer looks like it would be very easy to use and it's free.

I like to stay legal.

Thanks, John

That particular model will not do 2.5 steps. The newer model has 2.5 step built into it. I bought a KG-UV6X rated as a commercial radio and it's got the 2.5 step on it but I don't use it. I programmed my Wouxun with the cable and free software that you can download.

You can only transmit on the frequency's for which you hold a license. But you can listen on other commercial frequencies.

I never use the 2.5 step feature I just program in the Amateur Frequencies I use and I have 3 other HT's that do not have 2.5 stepping and it does not affect me in any way.

The KG-UV-6D definitely will do the 2.5Khz step and the narrow banding. It is Part-90 certified. It is not certified for GMRS/FRS though. Any radio can be used on the ham bands as long as it can meet specs, and the 'UV-6D' does meet the specs.
I have both the 'Commander' program and Wouxun's programs, the Commander program HAS to be the one for the 'UV-6' series! The one used by the prior versions are definitely different and will 'brick' the 'UV-6D' if you try to use them (per programmer's web site). I like the Wouxun program, it's not that difficult to figure out. It has the Wide/Narrow selection in one of the 'screens' so that's not a biggy. The Commander program does too, but it's arranged differently, different place.
The Wouxun radios do what's claimed for them but that's it. Their biggest 'draw' for me was the price. They are not the easiest things to get used to, or use, but they do work just fine. The most common complaint with them is the method of programming using the 'buttons' and not the free computer program. I still can't do that!
Have fun.
- 'Doc

Thank you for the replies. I have the correct Commander program, so I'm OK there.
I got the radio from china, so that's why I wonder if it's really part 90 cert.

If I ever get another, I'm buying it from a US distributor. The plug in for the programming cable went bad the second time I used it. I e mailed the exporter and they had me send it back. It cost $14.00 just to send the body, but they did send me a new radio, took around 3+ weeks.

Thanks, John

I'm sorry for the confusion, when I looked up the Wouxun KG UV6D this is the spec's that I got off the sellers web page on that radio, and I read where it had no 2.5 khz step. But I'm glad you have a new version that has it on the radio...

This is what I got off the sellers web site....

Description:

The KG-UV6D Dual-Dand handheld commercial transceiver provides up to 5 Watts of RF power on VHF and 4 Watts on UHF, along with high audio output of 500MW. This Dual-Band radio has a frequency range of 136-174 / 420-519.995 MHz RX/TX. FM: 76-108 MHz (RX). This is not a lighter duty amateur version. This is the real deal. This Radio is FCC certified for Part 90 Commercial use WVTWOUXUN04The KG-UV6D features a long operating time with the included 1700 mAh high capacity Li-ion battery pack.

Functions:

1. 5 Watts VHF / 4 Watts UHF
2. Frequency range 136-174 MHz / 420-519.995 MHz
3 199 Channel Memories
4. 1750Hz Burst Tone
5. Tuning Steps: 5, 6.25, 10, 12.5, 25, 50, and 100 kHz
6. CTCSS and DCS Encode/Decode
7. Sophisticated Display
8. DTMF Keypad
9. DTMF Encode
10. FM Broadcast Band Receive
11. Keypad frequency entry (when set up to do so)
12. Wide/Narrow Bandwidth (25/12.5 kHz)
13. Function Menu
14. Auto/Manual Keypad Lock
15. Standard female SMA antenna connector on radio chassis
16. IP55 WaterProof
17. Wider RX/TX Freauency 136-174 MHz / 420-519.995 MHz
18. SMA Antenna Socket ( same as Yaesu ICOM Radio )
19. Free Upgrade 1700 mAh High Capacity Battery Pack
20. Multi Step Frequency 5 / 6.25 / 10 / 12.5 / 25 / 50 / 100K
21. DTMF Encoding Function
22. 50 Group CTCSS / 105 Group DCS
23. 1750Hz Brust Tone
24. Auto / Manual Keypad Lock
25. Band Cab Be Freely: VHF TX UHF RX or UHF TX VHF RX
26. VOX Transmisson
27. Dual watch receive; continually checks VFO A and VFO B freqs.
28 FM broadcast band receive
29. ALL repeater offset modes!
30. Wire cloning function

I don't see a 2.5 khz tuning step on this one it must be last years model...

I have seen versions with the 2.5Mhz step in them, I just got sloppy and assumed the radio I bough had the 2.5, not 5 as the lowest.
My real concern is there a number that would ID the radio as being accepted by the FCC, but there is no number. It has the words "International Model" etched into the metal inside the back.
I don't think the FCC would look at it as being an accepted radio, even if it would pass all of their specs. It is for that reason, I've decided not to use it, just call it a $120.00 mistake.:censored:

Chances of getting caught are slim, but I follow the rules set up by the FCC. If one starts ignoring one rule, pretty soon it's two and so on and so fourth. Too bad, for the price, it seems to be a pretty decent radio. I didn't really need it anyway, bought it as another spare, so it's not a huge loss.

Thanks, John

All I can say is that under the 'VFO Settings' in the Commander software, and under the 'Optional Settings' in the Wouxun software, the 2.5 Khz step is offered. That's a frequency step change in the VFO, has nothing to do with the wide/narrow thingy. There's a sticker on mine for the FCC certification and if not on your radio it can still be found on the FCC's site dealing with radio certification. It isn't only a specific model certification but covers several Wouxun models of which the 'UV-6D' is one of.
If you aren't happy with it then you aren't happy with it. It really is Part-90 certified so that shouldn't be a concern. I honestly don't think you'd have much trouble selling it.
- 'Doc

Thanks Doc,

If it really is part 90 certified, I'm happy as can be because it really is a very good radio. The part 90 cert is my only worry. So as long as it's good, I'll sure keep and use it.

73's John

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.