• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

WOW? Powe supply/amp

They were around 10-15 years ago, Copper and H&Y used to sell them. They made 2 versions, a 4 pill with a 35 amp power supply and a 2 pill with a smaller supply.

Reactions: midnight special
a group here in oklahoma bought a bunch of them and for some reason they all had power supply issues.. a shop here repaired a lot of them and some was so bad it cost more to repair them than to just buy another. the power supply was what went out on the ones they bought. some pulled the power supply and just used the amp portion hooked to 12 volts.

Those are basically like said a 2 pill (transistor), using amp with a power suppy built onto them. I'd rather have a seperate unit. Yes they look neat and are compact, but think of all the heat that is created. JMHO. The amps aren't bad as long as they aren't overdriven. Keep the input low and they work pretty good. I am no amp tech or expert by any means, but do own an amp like one of those without the power supply. It sports 2 1446's. Low drive. 1-2 watts of dead key and 10-12 watts of pep on SSB. AM, I'd keep the power to under 10 watts pep. Again, JMO and experience with the amp I have. Anyways. Have a good one.

Reactions: Crusher and Sonar
https://www.ebay.com/itm/262554602967

I haven't seen one of these are they uncommon? Found it looking through amps on eBay any thoughts?
I owned four of them.
I got them from my cuz. He picked them up after they feel off a truck. I have two left.
My cuz put his fingers in one to experiment and it was never the same but the other three worked well.
Recently sold one and have two left.
I'm gonna sell one and keep the other
The two I have work flawlessly.
I can't speak for the power supply because all I ever used it for was to light a meter.
I sold on to a local who ran his ft 950 with it for a bit and it actually worked well.
Absolutely no hash and the fans as quiet as can be.
They came under several names. Palomar, boomer, 500 and super star to name a few.
Some had 1446's and others 455's.
There just as good or bad as most other transistorized amps made out of someone's garage.
I used one for a few weeks just for the heck and received good reports on AM and SSB.
When I say good reports no one knew I was running an amp.
I guess garbage in garbage out is true.

Reactions: 222DBFL

dxChat
Help Users
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Everything is El Dead-o. Joy!