• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

WSPR: An interesting weak signal digital mode

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
If you haven't checked out WSPR (Weak Signal Propagation Reporter) yet, you should. It's an open source program that you can download and install for Windows and Linux that is very simple to install and run. Using your sound card, it's very simple job is to send and decode beacons from other stations on the same band that are also running WSPR (pronounced "whisper") and upload the results to the internet database. The program can be downloaded from WSJT Home Page. Follow the instructions for setup and you'll be off and running in no time.

After you configure the initial parameters, don't forget to turn the power on your rig way down. The whole point of this application is to see what other stations can hear you and which propagation paths are open with as little power as possible. Today, I'm running 1 watt and have already compiled contacts all over the U.S. and even Japan on 20 meters. Tomorrow, I'll probably turn the power down even lower to 500mw! Make sure you turn off any Noise Reduction, Noise Blanker, and Notch Filter settings. I like to turn the Pre-Amp on and set the AGC to fast. After you let it run for a while, you'll notice the application start to list on it's screen the stations that it has heard. It looks like this:

WSPR_0.6.JPG

This information is uploaded periodically to WSPRnet | Weak Signal Propagation Reporter Network where a database and map is compiled. You can query the site for your callsign to see who has heard you and display it on a world map at Propagation Map | WSPRnet.

This form of making contacts is pretty effortless, which kind of takes the fun out of it. However, it is amazing to see what can be done with so little power!

WSPR was a topic of discussion a few months back on one of the local 2m repeater nets. At the time I didn't have an interface, but went to a friend's house and observed. It really is amazing how so little power can travel such a long distance. I had completely forgot about WSPR. Now that I have an interface I'll have to d/l the program and give it a whirl. (y)

Make sure when you start the application you double click somewhere on the Band display to set the TX frequency somewhere besides the default. People forget to do that and you end up with a whole bunch of stations transmitting over the top of each other.

Seems like I may have to do something different, I can't seem to transmit using my interface and the WSPR program spends a lot of time with "waiting to start in the lower right side of the window. And then when it does run it shows the same thing

AE6LX DM14 27 and freq 180 and 0 drift

Might have more time to tinker with it tomorrow

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.