• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

WWWV time station colorado

mrel

Oct 22, 2010
Hello
Does anyone know the time station(WWWV) Fort Collin Colorado allow visitor to the station?
mrel

interesting that they use simple 1/4 wave gp's for all their antennas,

i always liked those starduster type antennas,they work well,are generally lightweight and there is no coils to burn out.

i always liked those starduster type antennas,they work well,are generally lightweight and there is no coils to burn out.

Yup, it's 145 miles to Ft. Collins Co where WWV is and I pick it up just fine on a piece of wire.

The WWV antennas are half-wave vertical antennas that radiate omnidirectional patterns. There are actually five antennas at the station site, one for each frequency. Each antenna is connected to a single transmitter using a rigid coaxial line, and the site is designed so that no two coaxial lines cross. Each antenna is mounted on a tower that is approximately one half-wavelength tall. The tallest tower, for 2.5 MHz, is about 60 m tall. The shortest tower, for 20 MHz, is about 7.5 m tall. The top half of each antenna is a quarter-wavelength radiating element. The bottom half of each antenna consists of nine quarter-wavelength wires that connect to the center of the tower and slope downwards to the ground at a 45 degree angle. This sloping skirt functions as the lower half of the radiating system and also guys the antenna.

Yes considering HOW GOOD THEY GET OUT!!

Amazing they do with relatively low power as broadcast stations go.

Broadcast Frequencies

WWV operates in the high frequency (HF) portion of the radio spectrum. The station radiates 10,000 W on 5, 10, and 15 MHz; and 2500 W on 2.5 and 20 MHz. Each frequency is broadcast from a separate transmitter. Although each frequency carries the same information, multiple frequencies are used because the quality of HF reception depends on many factors such as location, time of year, time of day, the frequency being used, and atmospheric and ionospheric propagation conditions. The variety of frequencies makes it likely that at least one frequency will be usable at all time
s.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.