• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

X-Force XT-400 2x4 (6 Pill) Pill Driver

And as you stated in the latest video you're driving that driver stage with 50+ watts and as we all know that is more than sufficient to drive the output stage to it's full potential and more than 600 watt pep from that amp is just junk.

Albeit a true reading on bird meter it is none the less crap output at 1450 watts pep.

I am not impressed.

I have never been impressed with peak reading Bird 43Ps....they may be heart breakers on average but peak they are absurd sometimes.
Let me put it this way. I have 2 Worldwide base amps 2x2290 driving a worldwide 8 pill and on average she'll key 450 and swing to between 850 and 900 watts. The supply maintains 14.6 volts under full rated load.....floats about 20 volts. On the same Bird 43P using the peak function she swings 2100 watts....yes 2100 watts with 2 watts reflect. On a Dosy the amp swings 1650 watts.

I have a pep kit installed on my 43 bird and find it as accurate as my other meters of which I used to calibrate that kit.

I was not insinuating that his meter was incorrect as much as the rf terminator's feedback being skewed due to poor output tuning of that amp which does change when pushed past it's intended capabilities.

And as you stated in the latest video you're driving that driver stage with 50+ watts and as we all know that is more than sufficient to drive the output stage to it's full potential and more than 600 watt pep from that amp is just junk.

Albeit a true reading on bird meter it is none the less crap output at 1450 watts pep.

I am not impressed.

Not trying to stick out my chest or impress anyone mack. Just stating that 1000 watts peak is possible from a 2x4..

Not many people i have seen on youtube will show voltage and a meter directly connected to their amps power leads and test in the way I do. There is a lot of bs out there.

Regarding the output tuning....its properly tuned. I used a very tough fixed transmitting cap 130pf at 2000v vs what everyone else uses which is 130pf at 500v. I could of went with the dual semco stack 150pf and 1000pf but the people here like to drive the piss out of their amps here hence the use of the more robust part. Yes i have seen semcos get out of tune due to improper amp use and or overdrive. I have yet to see the 130pf 2000v cap i use blow up or get out of tune.

Im not sure what you mean by "poor output tuning". Explain

Not trying to stick out my chest or impress anyone mack. Just stating that 1000 watts peak is possible from a 2x4..

Not many people i have seen on youtube will show voltage and a meter directly connected to their amps power leads and test in the way I do. There is a lot of bs out there.

Regarding the output tuning....its properly tuned. I used a very tough fixed transmitting cap 130pf at 2000v vs what everyone else uses which is 130pf at 500v. I could of went with the dual semco stack 150pf and 1000pf but the people here like to drive the piss out of their amps here hence the use of the more robust part. Yes i have seen semcos get out of tune due to improper amp use and or overdrive. I have yet to see the 130pf 2000v cap i use blow up or get out of tune.

362.5 watts per transistor at near stock voltage is a little much don't you agree?

362.5 watts per transistor at near stock voltage is a little much don't you agree?

It is over the "spec sheet rated" output for the device. I agree, but it is what it is. Bottom line is that I have shown that (per video) that the amp can do the "362.5 watts per transistor" if pushed over its "recommended drive requirement".

I dont recommend, nor do i drive my personal amps that hard. Its what the people want mack. Funny thing is that I can talk to them till im blue in the face, mention toshiba spec sheets, mention oversaturation bla bla bla but in the end its "pumphouse I want one".

I guess thats how it is with the cb crowd :)

A local here by the name of "Mod Squad" in his mobile is running a Hr2510 driving into a (2) 2879 Dave made driving a straight (4) 2879 box on 14 volts. He is driving the piss out of the box and had been running that setup for years. I guess the monster overdrive situation is working well for him. It goes to show that overdriving the hell out of (4) 2879's actually works well despite some heavy protests from the "spec sheet oversaturation" crowd.

Thats cbers for ya! :)

1000 watts peak out of a 4 pill driven by a 2 pill is definately possible.....but the 2 pill and 4 pill have to be in 2 separate amp enclosures. The 1000 watts will only happen at 15 volts with NO drop. Maybe 1200 watts peak at 16 volts but not at 15 or lower volts. If course you have to drive the snot out if it in either case.

Help!!!!! Can someone please tell me where my problem lie? I have a Cobra 21 GTL that swings about 17 watts and I have a 200 amp Alternator and only see about 650 watts output from my pill box. What do I need to do to achieve around 1000 watts or better from this box? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

how much farther do you expect to talk with 1000 watts rather than the 650 you are getting now ?

and how often do you expect to talk to someone with 1000 watts that wont make the contact with 650 ?

Last edited by a moderator:
how much farther do you expect to talk with 1000 watts rather than the 650 you are getting now ?

and how often do you expect to talk to someone with 1000 watts that wont make the contact with 650 ?

Since 1000 watts is 54% more than 650 watts........if you can talk 100 miles with 650 watts then 1000 watts will get you 154 miles. :laugh:

Since 1000 watts is 54% more than 650 watts........if you can talk 100 miles with 650 watts then 1000 watts will get you 154 miles. :laugh:

i know you are joking .... but there are folks that don't know better that will believe that to be true .

Umm no radiation exposure doesn't scale linearly with distance. That's one thing i did learn in physics class. It drops off sharply at distance.

The amp has four final transistors. I'll assume they are 2SC2879's rated at 120 watts out each. While it is possible to see over 200 watts from each transistor, it's not likely to happen. Even with the 200 amp alternator you would need to be hitting the amp with over 18 volts. The transistors would be driven deep into saturation and could fail at any instant. In order to reach you power goal, you should be working with twice as many final transistors.

is it true if you up the voltage to 18v better drop that DEADKEY and SWING substantially on the transmitting radio or those transistors will pop?

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.