• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

x-force xt400

godcobra

Jan 16, 2012
Hello
I have a project to buy this amp and add to my cobra 148f gtl whit 10watt dead key, 30watt pep did you think is a good macht combo and my antenna is wilson 500 roof mount thanks

That amp has a drive stage and requires no more than 1 watt dead key or carrier from you radio.

10 watts will fry it pretty darned quick.

thank you I'm going to decrase my watt to 1 watt or to choose one other amp that capable to andel this whattage
what did you tink about tnt900

Any amplifier with a driver stage will be a low drive amp. 1x4, 2x4 and so on. A straight 2 or 4 pill would be an amplifier without a driver.

The 148 radio's are lower powered radio's. In all my years I have NEVER seen or heard of one dead keying 10 watts and swinging 30 watts. Are you sure your numbers are correct?

You will want an amplifier that is class AB or B since the 148 is such a nice SSB radio.

if you run ssb

dont get a tnt or fatboy or any of the class c amps,stick with the ab1 amps if you would call them that,like the palomar/cobra, texas star,boomer...good clean amps...73 de JW

Have a variable key put on your radio, most techs put it on the swr/cal control. No more than 1 watt key onto an SE400 should get you 200 watts dead key which is ideal.
A DM 2x4 is not a great amp for SSB.

Any amplifier with a driver stage will be a low drive amp. 1x4, 2x4 and so on. A straight 2 or 4 pill would be an amplifier without a driver.

The 148 radio's are lower powered radio's. In all my years I have NEVER seen or heard of one dead keying 10 watts and swinging 30 watts. Are you sure your numbers are correct?

You will want an amplifier that is class AB or B since the 148 is such a nice SSB radio.

You can only get those numbers if the final is volted.

I see, three suggestions.

An XT400 is a class C amplifier and is the last thing you would want to run on SSB with a 148.

Send your radio to a good tech and have him undo that final volted crap. With a correct tune and alignment the 148 is a smooth clean talking radio. 14-18 watts peak is what they are supposed to do. They were NEVER intended to be a 30-40 watt radio.

After you have the radio done right buy a Texas Star 667. A 148 will match up to a 667 great and give you an honest 500 watts.

I see, three suggestions.

An XT400 is a class C amplifier and is the last thing you would want to run on SSB with a 148.

Send your radio to a good tech and have him undo that final volted crap. With a correct tune and alignment the 148 is a smooth clean talking radio. 14-18 watts peak is what they are supposed to do. They were NEVER intended to be a 30-40 watt radio.

After you have the radio done right buy a Texas Star 667. A 148 will match up to a 667 great and give you an honest 500 watts.

My volted cobra 148s and Grant XLs only swing 20-22 watts peak and 9-10 watts Bird. Never seen any more than that out of one. I have been hammering the crap out of a volted 148 for 10 years now. Some radios you can volt and others don't last very long. If you want to volt and screw up a radio, go to www.radioactiveradios.com .

i have a 148 that keys 10 watts on any meter,so it is possible

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.