• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FL2100B with Icom 718

The only thing you might have a problem with is the voltage used by the amp's relay and what your radio can handle. An intermediate relay wouldn't be a bad idea?
- 'Doc

FL-2100b No Output

My 2100b amp works fine with my 101 rig. I hooked the amp up to my Icom 718 using an external relay buffer and it keys the relay in the amp but there is no power output. I was told that I would not need the ALC voltage. Any ideas on what I need to do?

My 2100b amp works fine with my 101 rig. I hooked the amp up to my Icom 718 using an external relay buffer and it keys the relay in the amp but there is no power output. I was told that I would not need the ALC voltage. Any ideas on what I need to do?
Assuming that you you have drive from the 718, and the 2100B is working, you should have output. The ALC connection is used to control the drive from the 718 so as not to overdrive the 2100B. It's use is optional; some use it, some don't.

When the amp is in the stand-by mode I have output. When turned on I have no output. The amp works fine when hooked up to my Yaesu 101E. Could it be that the Icom does not have enough output to drive the amp?

The problem accures when you take a tube amplifier and hook it up to a solid state radio and being an older amplifier the exciter or keying voltages between the 2 rigs can be harmful due to missmatch so thats where the relay buffer comes into play as far as the amp working with the 101 well there you have it because its also a older tube rig and was made to run with the FL-2100B.

Key the amp with the relay buffer on the 101. If that doesnt tx then the buffer is faulty if it does tx then the icom is faulty, maybe an swr protection circuit kicking in that the 101 doesnt have? So then try an atu between the icom and the amp fix that.

The relay buffer is working because the relay in the amp engages and the DC A gauge moves, just no output? I guess the two are just not compatible?

In stand-by mode, the bypass relay is bypassing the input right to the output connector.

I suspect that your input bandpass coils in the FL2100 are mis-adjusted and they are presenting a high VSWR to the 718. This is causing the rig to fold back power. What band are you trying to use the amp on? (Heh heh..) :whistle:
:pop:

Im also guessing an issue or missmatch with power cutback going on. I also have a FL-2100B hooked to a Yaesu FT-990 that I often use and its input tuning is great I have no problems at all from 80-10 meters. I dont even have to use the FT-990 internal tuner I just use the external tuner between the FL-2100B and antenna without a problem.

The only incompatibility would occur with that amplifier relay and the buffer relay should take care of that just fine.
I also assume you are doing this tuning in the CW mode since that's the best way of doing it. If there's any reasonable output from the '718 getting to the amplifier you should be able to see the results on the amplifier's meters. I hope you got a manual for that amplifier, you will need it! Follow that manuals suggestions for tuning.
Since the amplifier seems to be working with the '101, I would think there's a problem in the connections with that buffer relay and the 718. No idea what that might be. OR, as was suggested, the inputs for that amplifier aren't even 'close' to being right.
Good luck.
- 'Doc

OK...thanks to all those who have replied! I was use to tuning with the Yaesu 101E. The Icom is a different animal. Apparently the Icom does not have enough output to tune the amp in CW or AM mode. When I tuned in SSB mode while speaking in to the mic I got output, but only could tune to about 250 watts. My SWR being 1.5:1. I guess I'll use the Yaesu Rig when I need very high power. 73'S

The typical 40 watts output with that '706 on AM mode would produce something like 250 watts output from that '2100. Since the output on CW or SSB is closer to 100 watts, that amount of drive should get that '2100 into it's normal output range easily.
If that '706 is producing more than that 40 watts in AM mode, that radio is definitely modified and and being 'pushed' too much, it just ain't 'healthy'! If you are going for more output power in AM mode, then you'd be much better off using that '101 as the driver.
- 'Doc

The only way I can see this situation happening is if you're trying to use the '718 on 11M, and the amp's input tuning is set for 28 Mhz. That will present a high VSWR to the radio, and it will fold back. I can't see any other reason for it not working. The FT101, having a Pi network output is tuned to the amp's input (what ever it is) and works fine with full output. It doesn't care about VSWR (within limits).

What band are you trying to work the '718 on?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.