• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FL2100B with Icom 718

OK guys...The radio is NOT modified and only puts out 40 watts on AM and yes I would be crazy to try and get more out of it especially when I have a 101E. Why anyone would want one of these radios for CB is beyond me. Why would anyone pay the money for a 718 for CB use with all those frequencies when you could use a cheap CB with a heater? So I question why anyone would even ask if I'm using it on 11m. Right now because of my antenna situation I'm working 10 and 15 meters. I'm looking at multiband verticles. Anyway, it is working now and maybe the tubes in the 2100 are a little tired. I'm also using 120v and the power caps are original. I thank all replies...73's

OK guys...The radio is NOT modified and only puts out 40 watts on AM and yes I would be crazy to try and get more out of it especially when I have a 101E. Why anyone would want one of these radios for CB is beyond me. Why would anyone pay the money for a 718 for CB use with all those frequencies when you could use a cheap CB with a heater? So I question why anyone would even ask if I'm using it on 11m. Right now because of my antenna situation I'm working 10 and 15 meters. I'm looking at multiband verticles. Anyway, it is working now and maybe the tubes in the 2100 are a little tired. I'm also using 120v and the power caps are original. I thank all replies...73's
OK - fair enough! This then begs the question - what is the provenance of your amp?

I would check the input tuning of each band you are trying to use it on. Put an SWR meter between the '718 and the amp. This will reveal all. Assuming a reasonable VSWR between rig and amp, there is no reason for no output! If the FT101E drives it, so should the '718.

Running it on 120 V is fine for a 2100B. I ran an 4 X 811 amp on 115 for years! Even tired tubes should produce output. Keep us informed.

I picked the amp up on ebay. I was shocked when I opened it up to see that there was hardly any dust inside and that the contacts on the band selector were like new. The front face still has the plastic over it. It seems that this amp was not used much. The door knob caps are in great shape! I will hook an swr meter between the two just for the heck of it. May need to change some inter-connects also.
BTW; thanks for the "Pecker" info.

In stand-by mode, the bypass relay is bypassing the input right to the output connector.

I suspect that your input bandpass coils in the FL2100 are mis-adjusted and they are presenting a high VSWR to the 718. This is causing the rig to fold back power. What band are you trying to use the amp on? (Heh heh..) :whistle:
:pop:

To add...put and swr meter between the radio and amp and check it. if there is no input to the amp because it's presenting something other than 50 ohms to the 718, there will be no output. The 101 is more forgiving than the 718 in that respect.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.