• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

YAESU FT-450

TonyV225

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 18, 2005
Wisconsin
Hi all I was wondering if any of you have had the chance to try one of these out?? And what you know or have heard I want one and called to ask on price at a reputable radio dealer today but they couldnt give me much info. I dont know anyone personally who has had the chance to mess with one so Im a little gun shy so to speak. This is killing me I really like the looks and its options it offeres but without hearing from anyone thats run one or even knows somebody who has had the chance I dont want to be the first to find its downfalls LOL. I found one for $749.00 with the internal AT-450 tuner installed and for another $56.25 they will do a few other things to really get it setup. I am wondering if Ide be better off with another Yaesu FT-990 or another TS-50 or possibly trying an older Kenwood 450 or Icom that Yaesu really looks nice from what I see and have read its pretty nice it even has a voice module like the Kenwood ts-440 had that was an extra option you could purchase (VS-1) ok I hope this isnt an off the wall question but I appreciate any input from you people that have the info and can help Thanks .....Tony....

It's a fantastic basic rig. The Yahoo group for the 450 will give you a lot of info in the archives.

You would be better served to look at the FT-950 though IMO.

You didn't really say what you intend on doing with it though either. Are you just going to park it on 27Mhz or are you a ham? The added features of the 950 would be lost on 11m only use and the 450 would be fine for that. Does the size matter? The 450 is nice and small. Also it would be a very tough call if you added the FT-857D into the mix as it adds 2m/70cm too making it a lot more versatile.

i used one at HRO an was no that impressed with it. i personally don't care for the meter i like the old needle.. lol .. an does not have a dual rx on.. have to manuel switch over to vfo a/b? same with the 950.. i went out an bought the ft 2000 which if u can afford its price tag it is the way to go.. a pretty big rig but has awsome filtering with the VRF DNR DNF nothc contour an the rfing filters.. i would look at the ft 2000 or the ic 756 proIII also the kw 2000 is not a bad rig either as i have one sitting on my desk also.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.