• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FT-897D Antenna for base setup

N0WY

Aug 11, 2010
I am recently back into amateur radio and will be going for my General license tomorrow (and then onto Extra). I have spent most of my time on UHF and VHF and this will be my first run into HF territory.

My question is this....I would like to go with the FT-897D with a vertical antenna for a setup for my home (they are really strict about antennas in my subdivision - so I thought a vertical would be perfect), I know I can't talk around the world with this setup...but should I be able to do some DX? Not looking to do competitions, just talk with people for fun and education...and talking with others in some other countries would make it more exciting.

Again, not looking the the best antenna out there...if I had to rate what I was looking for:

1) Stealth ability (not that no one can see it - just can't draw attention to it)
2) Ability to work all HF bands (inc 6 meter) - with some DXing.
3) Not too expensive

Thanks so much for the help

With a Multiban Vertical its going to be pretty tall, probably 20' + . I was lucky I went with a Dipole for 10-40 m + 6m. It works really well and runs from my chimney to a tree in the back yard and you cant really even see it as its not much above the roof line, best thing was it cost me less than $30.

Good luck with the General, took mine this past Thursday and it was a breeze.

Craig
W1MED/AG

I have a few verticals

My R-8 works great, lots of DX, but it definitely isn't stealthy

My Little Tarheel II is a great vertical it will do 80m-6m (no 160m), it will run you a few hundred dollars, I have mine mounted on my truck for mobile use and have worked lots of Europe and South America.

I have used a both an Outbacker and Yaesu Atas-120 both worked fairly well.

You could look at a:
CHAMELEON V12 HF/VHF/UHF Multiband Antenna™

Covers 6m, 10m, 11m (Citizens Band), 12m, 15m, 17m, 20m, 30m, 40m, 60m & 80m, USAF MARS/CAP Frequencies + 2M/1.25M/70cm (144MHz – 500MHz)

Specifications:

Size: Overall length approx. 12'.6"
Frequency Range: 80/60/40/30/20/17/15/12/11/10/6M + 2M/1.25M/70cm (144MHz – 500MHz) + USAF MARS/CAP (3.3MHz, 4.5MHz & 7.6MHz).
Wave Propagation: Omni-directional
Max Power: 500 Watts SSB
Connectors: 3/8-24
Grounding: No Ground needed

They have a great support site that shows different installs. Follow the link below.:

ChameleonAntenna : CHAMELEON V1 HF Multiband Antenna™

chameleondipole_v12setting.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.