• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FT-950

W1MSG

Now W1MSG
May 9, 2010
MA
Well I was thinking about selling my IC-7000 and getting a real base rig for the house. I did a lot of reading on the FT-950 and it seems like an awesome radio for the price. Plus all my other radios are Yaesu, so Long story short I posted the IC-7000 on QTH and within an hour have a FT-950 on the way. It will be here today.

Any tips on settings ?

Thanks

Craig

Great Choice Craig!

I was using my FT-950, when we chatted on 3865 that morning.
What mic do you plan on using?
Setting for audio EQ vary. I am using the GM-10 Heil...studio element with 1-3000k bandwidth on all bands but 6m.
Drop me a line. I'll give you the rest.
Yahoo has a FT-950 group I follow...lots of info there!
Your going to LOVE that rig compared to the 7000!
What a Rcvr!(y)
All the Best
Gary(BJ) W9FNB

PS note: check first and see what firmware version in installed...it may need updated(see manual) 73 de gary

Last edited:
I been looking at these to they are nice rigs. I use a FT-450 on one of my setups and its a nice little radio aswell.

Well here it is .. Kind of a steep learning curve, but lots of fun !!

IMG_1133.JPG

The first 24 hrs on the new rig.

The first thing I did was to dig out all the cables I have to see what was going to work and what I would need to pick up.

1. Amp hook up. I use a ARB-704 Buffer Relay to key up the Amp, I was lucky enough that the cable for my FT-857D works with the FT-950 no problem. You must connect it to the Tune plug on the back of the radio. I dont have a CW Key so I tune it up using the RTTY and it works just fine.

2. CAT Connection. Well I have a cable for my FT-847 so I figured that would work. Well it doesnt, the cable for the FT-847 is a NULL Modem cable and the FT-950 is a straight through. I had a new USB to Serial converter with a 3 foot cable on it, and I already had a gender changer so it all hooked up and worked first shot. I am able to set all the baud rates at 38.4k without issues.

3. Update Firmware, I had 11.4 in the radio and 11.5 was available, this was also an easy task and worked perfectly. I only updated the Main as this radio has version 2 of the EDSP firmware and no update was needed.

4. Digital Modes. Next I hooked up my Signalink USB. I didnt have to change any jumpers and the cable was good to go as well. Pretty much plug and play on the Digital modes. I did notice that the FT-950 is less sensative on the Signalink adjustments and I now can set zero ALC unlike my IC-7000.

5. Heil Headset. I had forgotten that the head set I purchased was the IC version, it has the HC4 Element and the IC Element. So for now it can be used on the HC4. I did order a replacement element on E-Bay to replace the IC Element. I'll post up some comments when it gets here and is installed.

6. Keep digging in the manual, especially on the Mic EQ, I think I have the audio set pretty well and have gotten a couple of reports that the Audio quality is great.

7. The internal Tuner. It seems to be adequate if you have a decent antenna that isn't too far off. I checked it with my Palstar AT2KD in by pass and it tunes up my Buxcomm OCF on 6 through 80m .

So far so good, this radio is quite a bit better overall than my IC-7000. Dont get me wrong, the IC-7000 is a Great little radio, but for a base station I wanted a full size rig that was easy to see and easy to adjust. The FT-950 does have a lot of menus, and some complain that there is no RF Power adjustment on a knob, but I have found it very easy to learn and just too cool to look at (y)

I have had my new FT950 5 days and I am very happy with it. I find that the receive is better than my Kenwood TS-2000. Weak stations which I previously could not even hear on my TS-2000 are audible on my FT-950.

Funny Fact: It is bigger than in photos. It is quite heavy too. I still have to figure out how to use all the filters and how to get my audio EQ good. Whatever you do, read the manual.

The EQ can be the hardest thing to get fully setup. I have tried several different Mic's and have finally settled for the Heil PR-781 I have it mounted on the PL-2T boom and bought a shock mount off e-bay for $25, way cheaper than Heil.

Anyway I spent a couple of hours the other night playing with settings and listening to my audio on my second rig, it took a little getting use to but I finally perfected it and got the audio to where I like it.
I don't use the processor as I think it sounds better with out it.
Here are my settings

Menu# Setting
064 1-29
091 200
092 -12
093 2
094 900
095 -6
096 2
097 2100
098 10
099 2
100 200
101 -12
102 2
103 900
104 -6
105 2
106 2100
107 10
108 2
109 50 ( Processor Level ) I dont use the processor.

Just remember Audio is the most subjective setting as everyone will hear something different. The best way is to listen to yourself and if your happy with the way you sound then all is good !!

Craig

I too have just upgraded from my Kenwood TS850S to a Yaesu FT950. WOW!
I got a lot of reading to do.
I have a lot of noise in my area and I'm hoping that the ft950 with the DSP on RX and TX will help with some of this.

Any pointers on the filtering?

Now I also have to update my sig. OK, Not right now but in a few days.

I know I'm cross posting but I can't help myeslf. UPS just delivered my 950. Can't wait to get home to play. I moved from the FT-450 to the 950. For the last six months I've been reading everything I can get my hands on about the rig, reviews, etc.. and it just seems to be a no brainer. Hi end performance in a rig I can afford.

I'll be having some fun this weekend in the MI QSO Party!

I've had an FT-950 for a couple of months now, and have loved ever day with it.
i just wish it had 2m and 440 like my 857!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.