• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FT8800r

Charlie337

Nov 13, 2014
Since I cant get the FTDX 1200 for HF yet was thinking of a FT8800 for mobile and later in the base to get me on the air, have read lots of reviews but wondered if anyone had real world experience with one or suggestions for maybe a better set up...I appreciate it in advance..

I've had an 8800 in my truck for 3-4 years. It's a tough little radio. Probably the best feature it has for a mobile install is that the mic plugs in to the face plate itself, so in a remote install you don't have to string a mic cable through the vehicle to the driver's seat.

The downsides IMO are menu buttons that aren't lit making it impossible to see in the dark and the menu system. The menu system is a bit chaotic. I found it much easier to program with a cable and software. Transmit audio on the 8800 is "okay", but far from "loud".

I also have an Icom IC-2820 and a Kenwood TMV-71A. The 2820's menu is even worse than the 8800's and I found it so difficult to program that I spent $50 on the RT Systems software. Audio on the 2820 is "soft" as well, but it's buttons DO light up making it easier to make changes in low light.

The TMV-71A on the other hand is a dream. Dead simple and one of the only radios that I've never hooked up to a computer to program. The audio on the 71 is STRONG. It's by far my favorite of the three. The only downside that comes to mind is the fact that the mic cable plugs into the radio rather than the face, so you need to string another cable to remote mount it.

Reactions: Charlie337
I sure do appreciate the feedback and will help me make my decision easier when the time comes..are you running the name brand antennas Diamond or ect ? I assumed with 2m mobile they would all be comparable until you get into base ants ?

I've actually tried a few 2m/440 antennas and am very happy with my Comet CA-2X4SR. It's only 40" tall, tough as nails (it's taken some major whacks with no issues) and is very broad banded. In fact I've run a commercial VHF radio through it way up at 170Mhz with an SWR of just over 1.5:1.

Many of the antennas that you'll look at with the same kind of gain figures as the "2X4" will be much longer. Mine is roof mounted on my truck and makes it through most drive thru overhangs without hitting.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantm/3907.html

Reactions: Charlie337

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.