• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu HT Parts

Se7en

Jun 27, 2010
Ca
So i contacted Yaesu Inc a few days ago and got a price quote on a new front case for my VX-8r which was like $11.00 Problem is i tried to take the case apart and i cant get the insides out so there's no point in ordering the new plastic case unless there is someone that does this service here in SoCal or if somebody knows the trick to getting the insides out of the case that would be great.?

I might as well buy a new POWER and HEADPHONE Rubber (mine is cracked and weathered) & a new mic/ant rubber that Goes on top. BTW i tried to use this and it didn't help (DUH!) any, since the rubber is CRACKED in some spots:
einszett 914806 'Gummi Pflege Stift' Rubber Care Stick - 3.4 fl. oz : Amazon.com : Automotive

Is it glued? Use a heat gun or hair dryer. Try to find a service manual that details disassembly. Join a yahoo group, maybe a member has changed one out.

No well i don't think so i got it from moleculo. It's like the side have a ridge on them and the only way to remove the inside is by either breaking the case or bending it (nervous)

I can help explain what's going on here (since it was my radio). BTW, why are you replacing the front case? I thought it was in really good shape for a used radio?

The rubber side edges on this radio are notorious for coming unglued. I got tired of them coming separated, so I used some industrial strength stuff to make sure they never came off again. That's probably what is making it difficult for you to get the front half of the case off.

The "glue" that I used on the rubber sides is actually a type of epoxy. Since I know what it is, I also know how to get it off, and a heat gun won't work. Before I describe the procedure, keep in mind that this radio is waterproof for 30 minutes - so don't freak out at what I'm about to tell you to do: Take a small pot of water and heat it on your stove top until it's boiling hard. Dip the radio into the water for about 5 minutes or so. DON'T dip the screen in the water; you might crack it. The idea is to heat just the epoxy up enough to loosen it and then take it apart while it's hot.

This method will work to remove the glue. If you're not careful, it also might crack the LCD and ruin the radio. Honestly, if it were me, I would not try this. You got a good radio and accessories for 1/2 price with only normal wear. replace the rubber parts if you want, but leave the case alone; it will last forever.

Honestly, when I listed this radio for sale, I never imagined that anyone would want to replace the front half of the case - but I apologize because I didn't even realize that fixing the bullshit rubber bumpers on would cause this issue.

Se7en,

It's nice to tinker, but you seem to take apart and fidget with just about everything you buy. Then eventually, I see it listed for sale.

Keep your fingers out of it and enjoy it.

Lol

I can help explain what's going on here (since it was my radio). BTW, why are you replacing the front case? I thought it was in really good shape for a used radio?

The rubber side edges on this radio are notorious for coming unglued. I got tired of them coming separated, so I used some industrial strength stuff to make sure they never came off again. That's probably what is making it difficult for you to get the front half of the case off.

The "glue" that I used on the rubber sides is actually a type of epoxy. Since I know what it is, I also know how to get it off, and a heat gun won't work. Before I describe the procedure, keep in mind that this radio is waterproof for 30 minutes - so don't freak out at what I'm about to tell you to do: Take a small pot of water and heat it on your stove top until it's boiling hard. Dip the radio into the water for about 5 minutes or so. DON'T dip the screen in the water; you might crack it. The idea is to heat just the epoxy up enough to loosen it and then take it apart while it's hot.

This method will work to remove the glue. If you're not careful, it also might crack the LCD and ruin the radio. Honestly, if it were me, I would not try this. You got a good radio and accessories for 1/2 price with only normal wear. replace the rubber parts if you want, but leave the case alone; it will last forever.

Honestly, when I listed this radio for sale, I never imagined that anyone would want to replace the front half of the case - but I apologize because I didn't even realize that fixing the bullshit rubber bumpers on would cause this issue.

And if that doesn't work use this.

1629033-844427-hammer-and-chisel-on-bright-background-shot-in-studio.jpg

i dropped the radio while jogging and scratched the front.of the case a bit. Its not noticed but i know the scratches are there that's why i wanted to replace the case. That water idea makes sense but ill just get new rubber boots for all the covers and forget about taking it apart. No mole it's not ur fault LOL the side rubber boots are fine i had to reglue one and used 1000+ psi epoxy. (y)
i do enjoy taking things apart. Both of my pistols when i first purchased got stripped down piece by piece just to figure it all out...its fun.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.