• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu VX8R Belt Clips/Holster Suggestions

bluepythons

Aug 26, 2009
MN
Hi Guys,

Looking for some advice please. I currently run two aftermarket high cap batteries. I also purchased the Batteries America spring loaded belt clips. Well they are junk in my opinion. I have broken 4 of them. The first one while tightening on the radio, the plate cracked. Not to worried about that one as maybe it got over tightened etc, so I will give the benefit of the doubt on that one. The other two broke on the clip where the cross pin goes. One time was putting radio on belt other time was taking it off. The plastic seems very inexpensive and brittle, not worth it. I am used to Motorola clips and was really disappointed in these. My club also just got some FT250 radios and wow those clips seem really solid, commercial like quality.

Has anyone found a heavy duty belt clip for the Yaesu VX8R, modded a commercial belt clip to fit, or find a great holster/pouch for the radio with a high cap battery. I use the radio for search rescue and WEMT duties so yeah it can be pretty hard use sometimes but thats the job. The radio holds up great so far, but its the belt clips that lack.

I should note that Batteries America customer service has been great, they sent two replacements for free. Unfortunately I just don't think their belt clip is meant or built to be a heavy duty use clip.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
Dave

Well I can relate to your issues with the VX-8R belt clip. I am on the Search and Rescue team in my community as well. We have several members that use holsters from holsterguy.com including myself. I have a VX-8DR. These are really great holsters. There is no reliance on the belt clip which is pretty flimsy. I would not trust the belt clip to be secure when traipsing through the bush. Last thing a person wants is to drop your radio while on task. Most of us use the 3 point holster (RCH-100 series). I personally use the RCH-101M(Mesh). It is very well built and for under $30 thats great. I highly recommend these. There are several styles to choose from (3 pt., 4pt., Shoulder, Vest or Belt Holster. Take a look, I'm sure that you will find a style that will suit you and your situtation. Hope this helps. (y)

Thanks for the info. I checked them out, looks like nice stuff. That might be an option. I am still looking for a belt clip too if anyone has any ideas. I currently have a duty belt set up that I would like to continue to use but need a sturdier belt clip to use it with the holder I have there now.

We have gear vests we wear now so I am not sure if the harness would interfere with that or not so I'll continue to check into the harness option too.

The other plus with the belt clip, is when Im in town I have a Maldol antenna that I carry the radio with, a clip would make it more convenient around town, clip it to a pocket, car visor, etc.

Thanks again, look forward to more ideas.
Dave

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm really hoping to find a heavy duty spring loaded belt clip, almost like the ones yaesu uses on the FT250 radios. Those are very robust and seem much higher quality then the stock VX8 clips or the aftermarket ones from batteries America. I have a holder on my belt that the clip would lock on to, also I prefer a belt clip so I can clip it to a pocket, bag, or casual belt.

I think I am going to order some for the ft250 and mod the well see how it goes.

Thanks, Dave

I have to agree! Yaesu really dropped the ball on the belt clip. I have the VX-8G and I cant see the belt clip lasting very long. I wonder what they were thinking.

I wish I could find a good hard leather case with a swivel belt clip.

I have used a chest pack from this company

Lone Peak Packs- Bicycle packs, Panniers, hydration packs, seat packs, rack packs, communication packs, cummuter packs, fanny packs, handlebar packs

It has carried 30 year old "Bricks" and even a small VX8.

The one that I still use looks like the "UHR-150"/"urh-150" but mine has/is mesh. (it is spelled both ways, on their web page)

It was manufactured in 1998-99 and is still going strong.

I learned a long time ago, belt clips $uck and I tend to drop (and break) my gear. Even if they stay attached, and I take a tumble, the chest pack protects the radio and my body, better.

I also carry a Multi Tool in the supposed "Cel Phone" pocket. I used to carry a phone there, though.

I'd definitely purchase from them, again. High quality, strongly built and good customer service.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.