• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu Waterproof Failure

office888

Jun 8, 2009
Hartford, MI
I purchased my FT270r from Ham Radio Outlet (hamradio.com) in early February.

I bought it, think I was buying an absolutely bulletproof radio, that was water impregnable.

Well, I guess I was wrong.

yaesufail.jpg

I checked and tighted all the connections, and made sure the battery was clipped in tight. Dunk test, less than 1 foot of water for under a minute. Took it out, shook it off..aanndd I saw that water had seeped behind the screen.

It began to malfunction. Response is veerry slow. Also has completely lost both transmit and receive.

I am not a happy man.

-Richard-

i dont think they were ever meant to be dunked in water .what were you thinking?:oops:

it may have been rain proof as in some rain getting on it wouldnt have hurt it .but to dunk it in water?you asked for it .
sorry to hear that but.....:oops:again.

looks to me, by the website. You saved yourself some trouble down the road.
The FT-270R is a compact, high-performance FM hand-held providing up to five Watts of RF power, along with big audio output (800 mW) and unmatched protection against the elements!

Protected against water ingress to IPX7 specifications (submersion for up to 30 minutes at a depth of 3 feet), the FT-270R features long operating time, thanks to the supplied 1400 mAh NiMH Battery Pack.

The 16-key FT-270R includes direct keyboard frequency entry and direct DTMF input, along with quick one-touch access to YAESU’s exciting and fun WiRES-II™ VoIP Internet Linking system!

5 Watts Output
The FT-270R provides 5 Watts of solid power
Large Backlit LCD Display
Want a handheld with a display you can actually see?! The FT-270R is the handheld for you.
Submersible!
The FT-270R conforms to IPX7 specifications for submersibility (submersion for up to 30 minutes at a depth of one meter).
Outstanding Receiver Audio
The FT-270R's hefty 800 mW of audio provides plenty of volume when operating in a noisy environment.
1400 mAh Battery Pack Yields Long Operating Time
The FT-270R is supplied with a long-life 1400 mAh Ni-MH Battery Pack, for extended operating time during search-and-rescue or public service event operations.
Power Saving Circuit Design
The FT-270R design includes Yaesu's exclusive power saving circuit design to ensure longer operating time that most other handhelds with comparable batteries.
Expanded Receiver Coverage
The receiver's frequency range is 136-174 MHz, covering many public service, marine, and government channels.
User Password
To prevent an unauthorized person from using your FT-270R, you may engage a security password that must be keyed in prior to operation, if you like.
200 Memory Channels
The 200 memories may be partitioned into as many as 10 memory groups. Alpha-numeric labeling is available on all memories.
Keyboard Frequency Entry
Operating frequencies may be entered directly from the front panel keypad, which may also be used for quick recall of memory channels by number.
Weather Broadcast Channels
In the U.S. version, a dedicated special memory bank of ten NOAA Weather Channels is available, with a "Severe Weather" alert capability.
EAI (Emergency Automatic ID) Feature
Ideal for search-and-rescue work, the EAI feature can be commanded on so as to identify your FT-270R, and engage your PTT and microphone, remotely in an emergency situation. So if you don't check in during a search, help can be dispatched, with the automatic TX function allowing others to perform direction finding.
Split Tone Capability
Besides the usual CTCSS and DCS Encode/Decode features you've come to know and love on a Yaesu transceiver, the FT-270R includes a "Split Tone" capability that allows you to Encode a CTCSS tone, and Decode DCS, or vice-versa. You can also Encode (without decoding) either CTCSS or DCS.
Other Features:
- Enhanced Paging and Code Squelch
- Automatic Repeater Shift
- Memory-Only operating
- Scanning Mode: VFO / Memory / PMS / Dual Watch
- Nine DTMF Auto-dialer memories
- Two Front Panel programmable keys
- Keypad/Dial Lockout capability
- RF Squelch
- Battery Voltage Display
- TX Deviation Level (5 kHz or 2.5 kHz)
- Transmit Time-out Timer and Automatic Power-Off
- Busy Channel Lock-out
- ARTS (Auto-range Transponding System) that "beeps" the user when you move out of communications range

I purchased my FT270r from Ham Radio Outlet (hamradio.com) in early February.

I bought it, think I was buying an absolutely bulletproof radio, that was water impregnable.

Well, I guess I was wrong.

yaesufail.jpg

I checked and tighted all the connections, and made sure the battery was clipped in tight. Dunk test, less than 1 foot of water for under a minute. Took it out, shook it off..aanndd I saw that water had seeped behind the screen.

It began to malfunction. Response is veerry slow. Also has completely lost both transmit and receive.

I am not a happy man.

-Richard-

While I do think that sucks I also have to say why tempt faith?. I don't think I would have tested that knowing what would happen if the test failed. I mean dropping it accidently into a puddle is one thing but ........ Hell I don't even wear my watch swimming and it is supposed to be waterproof to 50m which is 165 feet! Try drying it out in the sun with the battery compartment open as best as you can. if you send it back for repairs don't tell them you were testing it. Tell them you dropped it in the lake while getting out of your boat or something.

Send it back, they claim it's proofed' against what happened, so let them fix it. If they want to know how it got wet, tell them it fell into a puddle of water, which it did.
Before going to the trouble of shipping etc, I think I'd call about it first just to make sure what you will have to pay for.
If you were satisfied with it's performance before it got wet, and 'they' fix it, keep it. If not, sell it and get something else.
I think you found out that doing any potentially destructive testing -can- be destructive no matter what claims are made.
- 'Doc

(Bet you won't do that again anyway, right?)

Call Yaesu, tell them you got it wet, simple as that....the radio is "supposed to withstand 3 feet for 30 min" It is defective, During manufacture it must have been assembled wrong, or a critical gasket was left out. We have all seen examples of these radio`s sitting in a fish Aquarium, under water turned on....this one failed. It should be repaired/replaced under warranty. Period.

If I had dunked it and it leaked, they would get it back post haste......the water resistant feature is one of the selling points of the radio......Better it failed at home that up on the trail somewhere, while it was raining and you really needed it.

Jeff

They'll fix it under warranty. It's supposed to be able to do that. I dunked my VX-8 because I wanted to make SURE it would work in the environment I wanted to use it in, which includes it getting wet.

Send it off on about Wednesday last week, I forget when.
I called the following Tuesday morning. After keying in the extension for the Amateur Tech section, my phone call was answered on the 3rd ring. A staff member was very kind and courteous, and told me that it wasn't logged in their system yet, but she gave me her personal extension, and told me to feel free to check back with her.

Yaesu sent me some mail today.

I got a postcard acknowledging receipt of my radio 06/08/10.

I also got a separate invoice:
Radio / water damage, NEED SALES REPL 06/08
Antenna / water damage
Battery / water damage

Invoice Amount : $0.00
Amount Due : $0
Delivery Terms : Will Call, REPLACED

Soo, it seems as though they will be replacing it.

I'll do a followup to finalize. :)

-Richard-

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.