• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaseu ft450d or icom ic7200?

222DBFL

Jul 28, 2013
Looking at both of these radios and can't make my mind up. Can anyone give some info as to which works best. I like the auto tuner feature of the yaseu, but would probably get an external tuner anyway. Which one of these units works best all around? I have been researching both radios and can't make my mind up now. Any and all input and replies are certainly appreciated. Thanks much and god bless.

Looking at both of these radios and can't make my mind up. Can anyone give some info as to which works best. I like the auto tuner feature of the yaseu, but would probably get an external tuner anyway. Which one of these units works best all around? I have been researching both radios and can't make my mind up now. Any and all input and replies are certainly appreciated. Thanks much and god bless.
Watching with interest.

Friend of mine has the yaesu 450, it has been back to the repair center three different times.

Had issues with software, etc. etc. It would turn off by itself, then turn back on. Repair center said it was a bad cap?

Others say the rig is fantastic, E-ham reviews.

I like the easy of cw and digital on the 7200,, one usb cable from the radio to the pc and im listening/viewing cw and rtty with no other interface needed, just the free version of ham radio deluxe. I think you can also record the audio from the 7200 through the usb cable to the pc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mudfoot
Icom 7200 it is. Thanks for all the replies. My gut was telling me 7200, that's what I will stick to. Again thanks all for the responses. Another great buy I am sure it will be. And a side note, the megawatt ps is performing wonderfully! God bless.

The 7200 is one of the many rigs I have owned, that I wish I regret selling.

So you don't regret selling it?

Something about it was a disappointment, but I forgot what it is now...

I thought the 450 looked fine, but also heard a bit more noise over reliability than I'd expect.

My father and I both run a 450, zero issues, I use mine with my 12 yr laptop and HRD, stock mic has great audio, no complaints whatsoever.
Haven't run the 7200 so you'll have to refer to the experts on that one.

I'm partial to Icom radios now. Since I got my 746 I'm impressed with the functionality and precision of it. I think I could hook this thing up to a section of chain link laying on the roof and it would tune it in. The auto tuner is fantastic.

The 7200 is one of the many rigs I have owned, that I regret selling.

Just the opposite for me...I sold my FT-450 and then soon purchased a NIB IC-7000...
I have used the 7000 like twice...Wish I would have kept the 450 much better 6m RX and better TX audio than the ICOM....No issues either with the 450...
All the Best
Gary

But...we're talking about the 7200. I had a 7000 that I eventually traded even for a TS-2000. I really didn't care for either of them. The TS-2000, whew! talk about an ugly radio.

But...we're talking about the 7200. I had a 7000 that I eventually traded even for a TS-2000. I really didn't care for either of them. The TS-2000, whew! talk about an ugly radio.

Yes, I realized this...but made the post to get my $0.02 worth in for the FT-450...
The 7000 still has the plastic on the screen and is back in the box...Plans were to run it mobile. I still might, but like you really not that impressed.
The TS-2000's, I played with all seemed "DEAF" on HF, but to each his own.
All the Best
Gary

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.