• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Your furthest contact .

I worked backscatter into Prince Edward Island to my north while DX was coming in from South America. Point the beam south....good copy. Point it north to PEI and the station disappeared. Got the QSL card so I know it was not some jokester.

Shockwave are you sure it was backscatter? That far off the true heading sounds more like FAI or Field Aligned Irregularity was at play.

Reactions: 1 person
Shockwave are you sure it was backscatter? That far off the true heading sounds more like FAI or Field Aligned Irregularity was at play.

I'm really not sure. What I can say is it only happens after sundown and is accompanied by sporadic E conditions. It's also been happening a few times a week for the last month or more from my location.

I'm really not sure. What I can say is it only happens after sundown and is accompanied by sporadic E conditions. It's also been happening a few times a week for the last month or more from my location.

Classic FAI presentation. Usually happens on 6m and 2m but can happen on 10/11m but generally rare. Peaks between 8:00pm and midnight accompanied by sporadic E.

N1BUG Web: FAI (Field Aligned Irregularities)

I had an unusual multipath contact into Germany beaming shortpath S5 with a S7 echo. wierdest thing you ever heard. swing the beam around longpath s9 . no echo.Got to love HF .

I had an unusual multipath contact into Germany beaming shortpath S5 with a S7 echo. wierdest thing you ever heard. swing the beam around longpath s9 . no echo.Got to love HF .

Oh yeah....it does get weird when you can copy a station on both long path and short path at the same time. I forgot about that actually. That would make my longest contact ever from here to Odessa Texas via longpath. I was beaming to Europe when I heard him with an echo. Beaming straight southwest to him was about 2200 miles. Beaming longpath complete with echo was about 22,000 miles. This was on 20m at the time however.

Classic FAI presentation. Usually happens on 6m and 2m but can happen on 10/11m but generally rare. Peaks between 8:00pm and midnight accompanied by sporadic E.

N1BUG Web: FAI (Field Aligned Irregularities)

Thanks CK. I suspected if I described the conditions to the best of my ability you would be able to identify the type of propagation. FAI resembles the conditions much better than backscatter. The islands around Barbados have been acting like a big reflector during evening conditions for many weeks now. We all have to point towards the same location to talk and none of us are in that direction.

Thanks CK. I suspected if I described the conditions to the best of my ability you would be able to identify the type of propagation. FAI resembles the conditions much better than backscatter. The islands around Barbados have been acting like a big reflector during evening conditions for many weeks now. We all have to point towards the same location to talk and none of us are in that direction.

Yup that does indeed sound like FAI propagation. It gets really weird when two or more modes of propagation combine. It's rare but FAI could combine with F layer or maybe even a bit of Es and then things get real interesting.

Longest contact was from a mobile in Las Cruces, NM to "032" in Queensland, Aus.

Approximately 8155 air miles. I say approximately because he never did tell me what town.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.