• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

youtube. MAH00002 GALAXY 979 REVIEW

WOW 80/120 WATTS ON SIDEBAND running with no shoes. Gotta get me one!!

You mean this one?

MAH00002 Galaxy DX 979 Review - YouTube

Meh . . . not very factual at all as a review.
However, I do appreciate his effort.

First off, CB output is a matter of FCC regs. This radio cannot be mfd, distributed, nor advertised as a 100 watt radio. FCC won't permit it. True, it has one MOSFET final - perhaps even a MOSFET driver too - but the tuned output is kept to a legal output. Or they could not be sold - simple as that.

One MOSFET driver/final combination cannot produce 100 watts. With two finals and one driver, the result will still be no more than 60 watts - tops. Physically impossible to reach 100 watts; unless he is using a meter that reads 'happy watts'. More like 30 watts - yes. But that radio could only put out 100 watts if it had an RFX-75 unit installed. No CB can have two finals from the factory. An Export radio can; but not a CB radio. Perhaps the guy thought that the driver transistor was counted as a final - lol! Common mistake.

Last edited:
not too smart there i guess and he has one happy meter,,, or of course his tech really done a amp board on inside of radio. just too unbelievable
73s midnight special

Yeah it was definitely a very very happy meter. Also get a laugh out of some of the ones over the Internet stock with a tweak and peak or snip and clipwanting to sell for 284 dollars

What a joke! Robb nailed it with the 60 watts max. I had Doug build my 979 with dual Mosfets and every other trick he could throw at it.....60 watts is all it was good for before I had him turn it down so to speak. Nice little radio but nothing to set the world on fire. The best mod was dimming those blinding RX/TX lights that do not dim with the back lite display.

Galaxy DX-979 AM/SSB Mobile CB Radio - Custom CB radios

You guys need to take into account the quality test equiptment he is using, Para Dynamics PDC-5 SWR/Watt Meter with a built in Antenna Tuner.
The Gold Standard in Radio Test equiptment.

Jeff

I had this come across the bench a few months back. A 979 with a 1446 final "truckstop rigged" in there. It worked but the biasing was non-existant of course.
This is not my work lol, but I did get it "to work".
AM was about 80 watts PEP.
IMG00104-20120714-2135.jpg

IMG00103-20120714-2135.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned