• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

1 wire dual polarized quad

taxes are done! back to the radio again..while on 27.505 i checked swr on am and they were 1.6- 1.7 vert and horz on the diawa meter.
with all the diffrence between my radio swr meter and the cn-801 diawa meter i decided to change a 6ft old beefy rg8 jumper,,and swapped it for a cheap thin crappy truck stop 3 ft jumper.
still on 27.505 am swr was 1.1 vert and 1.5 horz on my radio meter.
when checking it back on the diawa its flat on vert and 2.0 on diawa meter..

the diawa seems to always be .2- .6 or so off at times from the radio meter..but then sometimes is so close it dont matter..it is calibrated btw.

this seems good enough for now so with antenna 3 ft above ground aimed to the sky "surrounded by big oaks"can still talk to canada,and the usa,i hear everyone the same as when tower is up,and talk to most of them and they say my audio is sweet and 9 over 7 to most folks..with 50 watts , 5 watt in legal terms :)
ok,i cant quit now lol..going to re wrap the chokes lil closer and raise up the tower for a couple days before deciding if i wanna keep this antenna as is or not..

Reactions: camaro1
Great you were able to get the vswr as you want them.

Put it up and make some contacts and have fun.

well,it def worked best on the ground pointed straight up lol..been up since 6pm yesterday.
the astroplane has 2-3 s units higher than the quad with it up in the air on vert,the horz is not near as strong as it was when it was just a horz quad.
the wqeight sucks opn my light weight design.
let me make it clear,a light weight design is best for me as i live in fla and have no ice storms to worry about,and the light weight ones ive made can hande 70 mph winds w/out movingm much because there so thin..,and i can always have the tower cranked down a 2 minutes,or tilted ove in 5 for any storms..

conclusion; this can be done but in my newbie opinion of antenna building its not worth sacrificing the quads strength as horz,or vert for this split wire design,thats really meant for 2 meters. maybe horx and vert with one coax would be best just turn the diamond to a square with feed in the corner..time will tell.

i tried,you all helped mak
004.JPG
010.JPG
016.JPG
e it work,you guys were very much help and i learned more than i thought i would in the past week..the swr def came down to 1.5 to 1.6 from almost a 4.
now i have a lil more understanding of coils/chokes ,just a little :)

if i get froggy it will be coming down today or tomorrow and going to the vert side only for now,so it will be first experiance with a vert quad.

in a couple weeks i will have the material for the "round quad" cant think of the proper name for it" but it will be tinkered with till it hopefully ia a flat swr,or close to it..

thanks for all the help,yall come back now,ya hear :)

...the astroplane has 2-3 s units higher than the quad with it up in the air on vert,the horz is not near as strong as it was when it was just a horz quad... :)

are you sayin the NOISE or the wanted SIGNAL is less?
the S meter reading can be less, but the audio can have a better signal to noise ratio.

are you sayin the NOISE or the wanted SIGNAL is less?
the S meter reading can be less, but the audio can have a better signal to noise ratio.
every night i talk to half dozen locals within 100 miles ,,most being 30 miles and with the beam pointed at that person they say my astro plane is no diffrence that the vert quad..same signal but lil better on the astroplane from 1972.
listening to 38lsb all morning and while listening to belfast and other far away dx stations the astroplane is superior at the moment..the vertical quad has no gain versus the a.plane and thats not good...
when i first build the flat side quad it was like 3 times stronger than anything i evewr had in my life.
another words i talk to 549 north of me and today i can hear him well on the a.plane while he is on the horz beam himself,,,when i go horx he dissapoears.
when i go vert i can hear him,,but hear his flat beam better on the a.plane???
maybe something has changed since standing it upo,,whoo knows :)
i think i will be happier with 2 seperate beams,,,or vert/horz on same beam at same time with 1 coax..going to take it down now just so i can slam my buddys tonight with true vertical and see what they say compared to the a.plane.
btw,the old a.plane talks worldwide,even austrailia, with low watts and very pleased to be using a handed down antenna from my father...quads rule the airwaves tho imho,like night and day.i will prob tinker with them the rst of my life for sure..

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.