• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

102 inch ss whip vs 7ft skipshooter

coyotekid28

Jun 17, 2013
So the whip has great ears but the skipshooter transmits better test from 45miles on the mountain top to the valley . So what is the deal with this and why . Ss whip hears better than the skipshooter but the skipshooter transmits better any ideas?

So the whip has great ears but the skipshooter transmits better test from 45miles on the mountain top to the valley . So what is the deal with this and why . Ss whip hears better than the skipshooter but the skipshooter transmits better any ideas?

The transmission difference is likely do to the different radiation patterns between the antennas. The shorter antenna would be better at transmitting from a mountain top into a valley than the longer one. That would be one of the few situations that a shorter antenna could outperform a longer antenna, and it is specific to the situation.

As far as reception goes, are you saying that in the same circumstances that the 102" whip is receiving the stations in question better then the skipshooter? That is what it appears you are saying but I'm not 100% sure on it as you simply mention that the 102" whip has "great ears".

The DB

Ooops my apologies the ss whip hears way better than the skipshooter. But it doesent seem to transmit the signal as well as the skip shooter. Ss whip hears great but the skipshooter does not have the ears per say and vice versa the skipshooter transmits better than the ss whip sorry im not very good with words and wording .

Sswhip=great receive so so transmit.
Skipshooter= great transmit but so so ears

If I could run a 1/4w SS whip; I would do that. Not everybodies mobile setup can support that antenna.

Nothing wrong with a 7 ft top loaded fiberglass antenna - either. The taller; the better. Top loaded antennas are always a great idea for a mobile anyway. The 7 ft length mean less loading is required and therefore less loss. Not a bad choice at all.

Think you will do super-fine with either choice - IMO . . .

Last edited:
Both antennas are a little bit shy of being resonant on 11 meters. After that, it amounts to the method and how well the impedance matching is done. Then there will be a slight difference in the radiation pattern of antennas that are not the same length. Toss all of that into a blender, bush the button and see what you get. There's so much variation that there's no definite, dead-nutz, always solution to which is 'better'. There are always two parts to tuning an antenna, making it resonant either by length of by loading, and matching impedance to the rest of the system. Those two 'parts' are almost never the same between any two set ups, there's no "one size fits all" for every occasion. Antenna 'A' may do better than antenna 'B' at my house, but that's certainly not going to be the general rule, the same antenna at your house may be the second place winner at your house. because no two installations are ever going to be exactly alike. Do the best you can with what you have to work with, that's the thing to do. All the rest of that malarkey is subjective...
- 'Doc

Well I did just that same results 18 ft coax with 2 6 ft jumpers and what puzzles me is that stupid tuning nail which I threw away and replaced with a 4 inch 12 gauge copper wire I have hardly any reflected and a flat swr 40 channels and I've grounded the bumpers doors hood back hatch the firewall all with grounding straps so maybe I should try one of those competition antennas haha well radio nor Dave get warm so I should be good hey guys check out my power situation with the motor maul vs a beefier alternator since yaw have been such great help 73s guys thanks for input coyote 204 round the NC foothills mudduckin along just flappin my wings trying to get out of this big ole pond no doubt

If I ran a 7 foot skip shooter would I need a tri mag mount or a single 5 in mag mount

I have a tri-mag WORKMANN (pics & description elsewhere). Had it twenty-years plus and it’ll take the strain of either on the Interstate.

If you run 75-mph into a headwind I wouldn’t guarantee any mag mount NOT moving.

If you run 75-mph into a headwind I wouldn’t guarantee any mag mount NOT moving.
True,

Another interesting point K0BG's website mentions about mag mounts is that in an accident, even at lower speeds, that mag mount will become a projectile and can cause extra serious injury or damage and most likely not covered by insurance due to it being unsecured and not part of the vehicle.

We Truck drivers would be cited for unsecured load and liable for injuries and damage and so could anyone else.

Mag mounts should only be used as a temporary stationed mount, not mobile operating.

Imagine what damage a tri-mount mag could do being catapulted in the air.

True,

Another interesting point K0BG's website mentions about mag mounts is that in an accident, even at lower speeds, that mag mount will become a projectile and can cause extra serious injury or damage and most likely not covered by insurance due to it being unsecured and not part of the vehicle.

We Truck drivers would be cited for unsecured load and liable for injuries and damage and so could anyone else.

Mag mounts should only be used as a temporary stationed mount, not mobile operating.

Imagine what damage a tri-mount mag could do being catapulted in the air.

The scenario of radio affixed to dash top (when the air bags go off) is more of an attention getter to me than flying mag mount.

Years ago those who survived a crash but died from injuries received from flying objects was a little the subject of (black) humor. Women being killed by a make-up compact ejected from her purse, etc. Great fun to pale and hold up hands to ward off Death whenever the girls produced one

In like wise the new product announcement twenty years ago of the Apple IPod, yup (wait for it), took less than a year some guy was killed by his.

A radio flying thru the interior at 60-mph above the vehicle speed is a sobering thought.

A mag mount can’t really be secured. The coax ain’t gonna leash it.

Test it. Piece of tape to mark location. Full on emergency stop from above 60.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.