• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

50 watt mod? Gimmie the straight scoop...

Well, the cap and resistor mod, along with the limiter clip, has been a main staple for most techs in the US. And what do their customers think of those mods? It's not too hard to fool most "CBers."

No need to clip anything that I know of ? Cap and the resistor will take the modualtion off scale to begin with. So why cut he limiter to begin with ? doesn't make much sence to me but the radio would be concedered dirty on the scope all the same ,along with the NPC mods as well ......I personally like the cap and resistor mods in my cb radios that will take them .......does that make me a bad guy ? .......I've never had a bad radio check from these ....they drive real nice and I use a NC mic all the same . This is not the perfect world where some folks would much rather have it there ways ....Justin ? are you saying that you don't do cap/resistor mods in radios ? or if I was some trucker driving through your town and wanted one that you would say sorry Charlie and refuse my business ? .....but yet you do 50 watt mods on these same radios ? Please help me understand. And as far as swing kits go weather there dirty or not , if set right and the right microphone used they have always sounded damned good to me . C2 sounds pretty fair to me in his post on this subject.....as a matter of fact his honesty seems to be floating around all over the place....and or assesments....I think I might be beginning to learn something here ? thanks (I don't talk to machines,I talk to people)

well it's great that you do it your way , as far as your questions go ...you answered them yourself ..... you said .. What I really need to do is maybe start a web page area with scanned images of letters that customers send in. (-: Mans got to do what mans got to do there dude .....that personally doesn't Impress me much ,but if it works for you and helps make your bill fold a little larger ....go for it. IM not knocking you here but I seriously have a hard time in believing what Im reading.....my bad. Tell me ? have you ever concidered humility as a way of life ? Thank you for your reply.

Switch Kit, if seeing is believing then send the guy a Cobra 29 and when you get it back put it on a Bird 43P with a good power supply. That would settle that. heck you could even sell the radio here on the forum when done and you would not be out anything.

I have 2 mobile radios done by Justin...
A Uniden PC66XL doing 53 peak watts on my Bird 43P...
And a Uniden PC76XL doing 52 peak watts on my Bird 43P...
both with 100w slugs...@ a Astron 13.8v PS Regulated...

That is fact and a real test....

AMPOWER

no offence to either one of you here but I don't doubt a 50 watt mod in the least ,I've seen a few in my time. You need not sell me on the idea. I said ....I tend to have a hard time believing what im "reading" that has nothing to do with a 50 watt mod in this instances. I conceder your prop's noted. Peace S-K

To me, it's still just lip service. But that's OK. I also don't doubt the quality of the work, like I said. I could not comment on it anyways because I have not seen it myself.

Let me fire up my big base and ask the locals around here if I should just believe you guys.

Hmmmm Riverside aint that far. Maybe I'll just take a road trip. Can't be more than a couple hours drive. I hear they have a good RC track out there that I wanted to check out too.

g

Well, I really didn't begin this post to start anything. Even though I knew it would start a sort of debate... (which is good and it keeps things lively). I mainly wanted to know if folks who had the mod done thought it was well worth the money etc. I believe the guys that have had the mods done to their Cobras and Unidens are being completely honest. I'd be willing to bet money it aint lip service - they have nothing to gain by lying. I know that Justin and his associates know their stuff and can do amazing things to make radios talk loud and clean through engineering changes to the radios and make them show unthinkable peak watts after the changes.

LoneWolf TN

Re:

LoneWolf TN said:
I'd be willing to bet money it aint lip service - they have nothing to gain by lying. I know that Justin and his associates know their stuff ...

LoneWolf TN

Sure they have something to gain. Save thenselves some humility. It's why the Ford guys say they have the best trucks and the Chevy guys say they have the best trucks.

All I was asking about was the measurement. It was supposed to show something and prove a point. It missed. I saw the bird meter, so there is not much arguing that. But that is a simpler measurement and I really wanted to see what I was expecting (or suspecting) on the analyzer. It seemed like it was set up in a certain way to hide some things and show other things. Let me explain:

Given the signal was as clean as it was, why would they pick a 1 MHz bandwidth (given that is true)? It's too wide to really see anything usefull. I have some really good specrum displays of really dirty signals that do span all 40 channels (of 0.44 MHz+), and close in shots that cover only one channel (10 kHz), and shots that show the harmonics and their dBc levels (which do come up quite a bit when the radios are pumped up, despite the filtering).

Naturally, a certain amount of distortion is expected, but to hide it and show something that is supposed to prove something draws more suspicion, and then say something like there is a trap so harmonics are not an issue?

Another point I was making (with the lip service crack) is that most folks that get their limiters cut with a cap and resistor mod also like what they got, and will come on to the forum and say so.

Anyway, I'll give this, I'll take the 1 MHz span at face value, so at least I can see that there are no higher order distortion products polluting the bulk of the band, so there is something good there.

f

I hear ya C2. Skepticism is a good thing. Questioning is a good thing. Make a trip to their shop and satisfy your curiosity, then let us know your thoughts.

LoneWolf TN

Another point I was making (with the lip service crack) is that most folks that get their limiters cut with a cap and resistor mod also like what they got, and will come on to the forum and say so

A question within a question ......I like cap/resistor mods/NPC ....I know what they look like on the scopes ....alrighty then. Why cut the limiter with a cap/resistor mod ? .....I personally have never felt it nessasary to cut the limiter in this case ...hell !! the damned audio is off the scale anyway . ....Would it be cleaner to leave the limiter alone when using the cap and resistor in the first place or does it not make a differance at all ? ....thanks S-K

maybe I should have wrote OR instead of WITH?

Still, some are happy with a hack job just the same, as long as the radio keys and gets the, "loud-n-proud and tree top tall" check check!

You, S&K, know what crap looks like on a scope? I'm impressed :)

I love this. You say you are not knocking him, but say:
Switch Kit said:
1) well it's great that you do it your way , as far as your questions go ...you answered them yourself
2) Mans got to do what mans got to do there dude .....that personally doesn't Impress me much
3) but if it works for you and helps make your bill fold a little larger ....go for it.
4) IM not knocking you here but I seriously have a hard time in believing what Im reading.....my bad.
5) Tell me ? have you ever concidered humility as a way of life ?
I know the truth is hard to take sometimes, but open your mind or check it out for yourself.

Scope this out C2 .......I haven't a clue ? .....MC ...your prop's are noted. (-: ..... My question still remains ?

Well Justin the Uniden Grant LT you and Frank and the morning tech did for me is dead once again. That cheap switch you guys installed is not longer working. I still can't get over the fact that after your receive mod the adjacent channel rejection is extremely poor. Ray at Galaxy had spoken to Bill about this on several occasions.

Also I never received the truth chart that Gayle had promised.

Where are the replaced parts I wrote in my letter to FG Best?

I will admit that the receive is quiter and more sensitive but at what cost?

I hope you have corrected this situation in the Ranger made Stryker radios you consulted on.

Theory and putting it into practice are two different things.

Switch Kit said:
Scope this out C2 .......I haven't a clue ? .....MC ...your prop's are noted. (-: ..... My question still remains ?

Well, you said that you have seen the cap/resistor mod on the scope, so I then assumed that you would know what crap looks like on the scope.

Your question, why remove the limiter with a cheesy swing mod?

Well, sometimes, it's not only important that you can hear me 40 channels away, but that you can also understand me 40 channels away. ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.